Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another Christmas newbie

Dobbo69

Hi all,

I am a newbie due to my wife buying me, after much hinting, a Celestron 114 astro master telescope for Christmas. I have done the usual staring in awe at the detail on the surface of the moon and last night saw Jupiter and three of its moons (which blew me, my daughter and my neighbour away). Any pointers would be great fully received.

Hi Dobbo69 a warm welcome to SGL and your amazing journey around the universe

I  would download Stellarium software its free to download http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/ and then I would consider getting a copy of Turn left at Orion

and have a good read of this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/ its extremely good read :cool:

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL. Great to hear Santa was good to you.

At the moment most of the Planets are viewable, Jupiter in the East in the evening. Mars, Venus and Mercury in the South West about Sunset and Saturn in the East in the morning just before Dawn.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro journey

Hi and welcome to the forum. David above has named two good suggestions that would certainly help you get up and running. If you want to know what the layout of 'Turn Left at Orion' looks like then you can have a look here.

Wishing you clear skies for your new scope and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Archived