Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sky spots

Sully

I tend to use these LP sites with a degree of caution, find them best as a sort of guide.

Of 3 places I know of I find this:

1) South of Cambridge and dark as they imply, but knowing where it is I would expect that.

2) Village, fairly large, I know of, comes up with LP on the scale as would be expected high at the central part - except the place has no street lighting and it is an "old" style village. It is simply DARK, very DARK, but the LP sites say otherwise. The village hall car park is big and flat and you cannot see a thing when walking round, the sky is great however.

3) Nice concrete area away from villages and towns (access to a farm field), LP sites say nice and dark (no one living close). They do not take into account the large motorway junction on two levels and the services just behind the junction. It is actually fairly bright all the time, there are light everywhere of all varieties.

The sites seem based on population statistics and the light pollution is not always a match to that.

Still think one of the best locations to look around for are nature reserves and similar RSPB reserves, try reservours.

They tend to be away from population centres, have access roads and often have car parks.

If you do get into dark sky observing, which living in Blackpool would be a worth while pursuit, then it may well be worth considering investing in a Sky Quality Meter at some point. Then you can take readings during a session and at each site used and then compare the average reading from each location. Available through FLO. Where about's do you head to? Bowland Forest would be a good area. I have family in Thornton Cleveleys and keep promising a trip to observe at Pilling Sands.

Funnily enough it was piling sands that was giving the 5.1 still got to get up there to have a look. I'm a bit dubious though cos Heysham power station is light up like a xmas tree.

Would be interesting to learn how you get on, if you do a session here send me a PM. I had only attempted a reccy in daytime, never considered the impact from Heysham. Still might be OK (perhaps) if not exactly ideal.

Archived