SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lodestar Live with Ha

DoctorD

Hi

Moon was very bright tonight so it was a good time to try out my Baader 35mm Ha filter.

M42 at 30s with stacking:

M42 Ha 35nm 30s 2015 01 03 At 20.02.22

and Horeshead nebula at 60s with stacking (median)

HH Ha 35nm 60s 2015 01 03 At 20.14.15

First time I've "seen" the horsehead nebula.
Clear skies
All taken with my 102MAK and F3.3 focal reducer with Lodestar-C and Lodestar Live.
Clear Skies
Paul

Excellent, Doc! Just a suggestion on the HH, next time out squeeze the histogram more by moving the black toward the peak. Then move the white to the peak to a point that reveals what you want. You could do the same with M42, but would probably blow out the Trapezium. It always seems like you can either get nebula clouds or Trapezium, but not both on M42. I think Paul's new LL version may help us with that.

I was out last night, but had a lot of trouble with the moon even with an Ha filter, so these are great results. To see the HH with a bright moon so close is tough.

Don

Hi Don

Thanks for the feedback - I wanted to try get the trapezium and nebulosity in M42 - the Ha filter seemed to help here by reducing the stars compared to the nebula.

I tried moving the black level in the HH but I seemed to loose the faint outline of the head.

For both I also adjusted the colour balance to give a neutral grey - perhaps I should have emphasised the red?

Mind you I'm still pretty happy with the results.

CS

Paul

Archived