Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt Ls50THa

jabeoo1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Welcome to the club Jayne, don't be too disheartened if you can't see too much at first... there isn't a lot of activity at the moment so focusing can be a bit difficult.

Keep an eye open on the forum to see whats happening up there.

3 hours ago, knobby said:

Welcome to the club Jayne, don't be too disheartened if you can't see too much at first... there isn't a lot of activity at the moment so focusing can be a bit difficult.

Thanks knobby, appreciate the support!  

Also ordered the Lunt zoom EP.  We all know I'll end up buying more, but I figured that would give me a decent start.  Does that sound reasonable for a complete solar beginner?

Jayne

2 minutes ago, The Head Gardener said:

Thanks knobby, appreciate the support!  

Also ordered the Lunt zoom EP.  We all know I'll end up buying more, but I figured that would give me a decent start.  Does that sound reasonable for a complete solar beginner?

Jayne

You are going to have a great time, the views are astonishing.  

3 hours ago, knobby said:

Keep an eye open on the forum to see whats happening up there.

Agreed, sometimes I sit there thinking I can't see much....whats wrong with me/this stuff.  Then I log onto the latest GONG Ha image and realise there is only little to see, and the scopes just shown exactly that.  

Cheers jabeoo1, that's well worth remembering, especially in the early days when I will assume I am doing something wrong and go into that "mental-flat-spin-panic" mode [which no-one really admits to but everyone has occasionally]  that I've broken my new toy/cannot use it/wasted a chunk of money.

Anyone else got stuff on order they are waiting impatiently for?

Jayne

49 minutes ago, The Head Gardener said:

Jayne

I have a moonlite for the Lunt 50 in the pipeline.  Its been a long wait & am really getting my hopes up high lately :)  

1 hour ago, The Head Gardener said:

Cheers jabeoo1, that's well worth remembering, especially in the early days when I will assume I am doing something wrong and go into that "mental-flat-spin-panic" mode [which no-one really admits to but everyone has occasionally]  that I've broken my new toy/cannot use it/wasted a chunk of money.

Jayne

Its really easy to use.  Once aligned, just use the focuser first & get a crisp clean limb/disc.  Then turn the pressure tuner up, and up, and up some more until the details pop up.  It should not come to the very end of its travel before presenting the optimum on-band view, or drift off-band once you leave the tuner alone (at least not in a very very short time).  I concentrated on prominences & filaments first, and learned to get crisp detail on those,  active regions associated with the nice dark sunspots are rewarding too, after that the finer detail comes down to the work and patience you put in.  It will keep giving. 

Be sure to post your findings and observation reports ! :)

I'll second that !  Dead easy to use.  

I was out with my nifty fifty on Saturday and had some amazing view, lots of features to look at.  Got it with me at work today, so a quick look over lunch will be on the cards I think.

Not tried any Lunt EPs, I got some S/H TV Plossls and when viewing permits, I use my 8m ethos.  It would be good to meet someone with the same scope and compare views with differnet EPs.  Be interested in a like for like comparison between TV and Lunt EPs.

Anybody going to kelling ??

On 05/08/2016 at 09:53, jabeoo1 said:

Its really easy to use.  Once aligned, just use the focuser first & get a crisp clean limb/disc.  Then turn the pressure tuner up, and up, and up some more until the details pop up.  It should not come to the very end of its travel before presenting the optimum on-band view, or drift off-band once you leave the tuner alone (at least not in a very very short time).  I concentrated on prominences & filaments first, and learned to get crisp detail on those,  active regions associated with the nice dark sunspots are rewarding too, after that the finer detail comes down to the work and patience you put in.  It will keep giving. 

Be sure to post your findings and observation reports ! :)

Cheers jabeoo1, thanks for the support and encouragement. 

When do you expect to get your moonlite?

Jayne

1 hour ago, OneEyedSam said:

I'll second that !  Dead easy to use.  

Not tried any Lunt EPs, I got some S/H TV Plossls and when viewing permits, I use my 8m ethos.  It would be good to meet someone with the same scope and compare views with differnet EPs.  Be interested in a like for like comparison between TV and Lunt EPs.

Thanks Sam, but Herts to Cumbria is a bit far for a quick EP comparison :(  

Jayne

I used to have a Lunt zoom a couple of years back and it is a great eyepiece for Solar and probably the most sensible, it will also help determine your preferred fixed eyepiece length (if you ever find one) are they 8 - 24mm ? If I remember rightly I preferred it toward the 8mm setting with my Lunt 60.

6 minutes ago, The Head Gardener said:

Thanks Pig, very helpful.   The Lunt zoom is 7.2mm - 21.5mm.   I figured that was a decent range to start with and that I could do exactly as you say - find out what length(s) I like and make other purchases once I've done a bit of viewing.

Jayne

Ah yes I remember now, it gives a nice weld field of view toward the higher power end (7.2mm). It is also a very nice looking eyepiece with its lovely red trim that will not clash with the lovely white scope :icon_flower: 

7 hours ago, The Head Gardener said:

When do you expect to get your moonlite?

Jayne

It should be available to us all really soon.  Its been a long time coming but I hear from Ron that the wait is nearly over.  There are a few focuser upgrades on the way from Feather Touch & Moonlite.  They all should be slick, a big improvement over the stock helical model.

Indeed James. The Feathertouch is already on the US Lunt website for $249 - they've just started taking orders. It states a focuser travel of 15mm - which I believe is 5mm more than the standard helical, though not 100% sure of that, but any increase in travel would be welcome to the many owners who've had trouble reaching focus with certain favourite EPs. Will be interested to see how the Moonlite compares - my bet is that it will be the one to go for

8 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Just seen recent posts on the other Lunt 50 thread on this forum - info on both the new Moonlite and Feathertouch focusers - maybe I'm going to be disappointed if I'm expecting them to offer a little more in-focus than the stock helical???

Sounds like in-focus is going to be the same. Although I have two different focusers and there was 1/2mm of difference between when fully in. Doesn't sound much, but my DMK21 only just focuses even with a cut down nosepiece and shorter eye piece holder on the diagonal.

I just looked on the Lunt website to see if I could order the FeatherTouch. Yikes! The shipping costs nearly 50% of the cost of the focuser and there will be import tax to pay when it gets here. I'll email FLO to see if they plan to import them. Even if they do, the current exchange rate is likely to make this a very expensive upgrade :rolleyes2:

Archived