Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

hobsey

Full Spectrum mod for widefield

I'm still undecided which mod to go for.

I will only be using the camera with camera lenses and will not be using it for normal as I have another camera for this.

Is it worth getting a full spectrum mod if I only intend to do widefield?

I assume we're talking about the 1100D

Removing the colour correction filter at the CCD chip will greatly enhance the red response. Nebula etc will be much better recorded.

To maintain the use (focus) of the standard camera lenses you need to replace the filter with a suitable clear or UV/IR filter.

(A FULL full spectrum mod usually infers both the colour correcting and the front anti-alias/ dust filter are removed.

OK for spectroscopy, but again needs replacement UV/IR filters for AP work)

Hope this helps.

I assume we're talking about the 1100D

We are, sorry I should have said.

That is a great help, thank you.

Astronomiser charges the same for both the filter removal and full spectrum mod so I was just wondering if it was worth it.

Can I just ask, what is the point of having it modified if you are going to put a UV/IR filter back on? or would that just be for normal photography and use a clear one for astro?

The filter removed is a colour balancing filter and supresses red light.

It also has a UV/IR cut effect.

The front dust filter also acts as a UV/IR cut, but some AP users have indicated with long exposures there can be some leakage.

So, to minimise star "bloat" and IR halos the colour balance filter is usually replaced with a UV/IR filter. This also retains the focus on standard lenses.

The UV/IR filter has no effect on the red colour response.....

HTH

Right, gotcha.

So would a clip in uv/ir filter be ok to use?

Thank you very much for your help.

I will be going full spectrum with a clip in uv/ir filter then.

Thanks again.

There probably isn't any advantage to getting a full-spectrum mod for widefield. I had one done on mine because I wanted the option of imaging in IR. But that needs an IR pass filter which I haven't acquired yet. Hutech do a hard to get hold of BGR filter set which facilitate imaging in different IR bands. If only the skies were always clear and I had unlimited funds...

Louise

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your help.

I will be going full spectrum with a clip in uv/ir filter then.

Thanks again.

If youre going for the clip in, just remember that it will limit your choice of lens.

EF will work EF-S wont.

That's cool, I knew that.

Don't think I have any ef-s lens I intend to use anyway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lachlan
      Hello everyone! 
      Im having issues regarding dew during colder nights while imaging. I’m aware of how to solve the issue of dew forming on front elements of scopes/lenses using dew heaters, however I’m also concerned with the dew that forms on my non-weatherproof DSLR body and imaging laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this? 
      Thanks!
    • By angryowl
      This will be a thread detailing some of the changes and additions I will be doing to my ASC/Weather Station project. This is version 2.0 as I'll be making some very big changes from the initial project and I think continuing on in the existing thread would not have made much sense.
      So, I still want to use an APS size sensor as after seeing the quality and light capturing capabilities of the now defunct Opticstar DS-616C XL camera and Meike lens I simply cannot go back to using a smaller lens/sensor combination. One thing is certain, I won't be paying £400 or potentially more for another APS astro sized camera so with that in mind I plan on heavily modifying a Nikon D50 DLSR and use the same lens. I chose the D50 primarily due to it having a CCD sensor (ICX453AQ) very close in specs to the one in the Opticstar (ICX413AQ) and the fact that I got a hold of a fully working body for £25.
      Now there's a few issues with going down the DSLR route which I plan on addressing as follows:
      The oversized camera body can be stripped down to bare essentials and fitted in the existing case with some moving of parts around Uncooled, the sensor is quite noisy so to cool it I plan on using the existing Opticstar enclosure with the TEC and hopefully get it purged with Argon to avoid dew formation. Also, since the box will need to be completely sealed to achieve this, there's simply not enough room inside for the main board to which the sensor connects to. The only way around this is using an 39pin 150mm long FPC extension which I managed to find and will be arriving shortly. This means I can have the sensor completely sealed with enough slack in the connection to place the mainboard anywhere I want. The D50 uses the NEF file extension as a "RAW" file format but it's not truly RAW and a heavy median filter is applied to all long exposure images to smooth out the noise. It works great for day to day shots, but in an application such as mine it'll most probably eliminate or severely affect my stars as most of them at the FL I'll be using the camera at will be a few pixels across and the Nikon median filter is very aggressive with such small features. The way around this is what's commonly known as Mode 3 on Nikons. Nikons have a additional Noise Reduction mode which takes the long exposure light first then straight after an equal length dark with the shutter closed, then applies the dark on the light and you get a further noise reduced image which again works very well, but not so much for AP. With mode 3 you essentially have the NR feature on and take an exposure but then immediately shut down the camera after the light has finished exposing. What this does is it causes the camera to dump a REAL RAW image onto the SD card without applying the median filter OR the Noise Reduction process. This obviously results in a much noisier image as expected, but all the stars will still be there and the image in this way can then be dark-subtracted and processed to my liking. I'll post some test shots I've taken to illustrate this. The D50 uses a hybrid shutter, both the CCD electronic shutter and mechanical shutter are used depending I think on the exposure length. If a high enough exposure is used, from what I understand, one can use exclusively the electronic shutter, but for longer exposures the shutters work in conjunction. Now I know the ICX413AQ in the Opticstar is more than capable of taking long exposures solely with its electronic shutter despite the fact that in its datasheet they recommend a mechanical shutter for proper use. So, my thinking is since the D50's sensor is similar to the ICX413AQ the only thing preventing the camera from being able to take any exposure using exclusively the electronic shutter is that its mechanical shutter is in the way and I don't think that the camera would prevent the CCD electronic global shutter itself to still open and close when required. However, this is all a theory at the moment and the only way to confirm it is to test the camera with the sensor outside when the FPC cable arrives. More on this later... In terms of capture software available, the D50 is actually very poor and I could only get digiCamControl to see and control the camera via USB. But I won't be using this as when the camera is hooked up to the PC its SD card is identified as a storage drive and the camera can be used as it would normally with the images appearing on the drive after being written to the SD! Since I'm using my VB app to process the images I would just point the app to that folder and should work. That's all I can think of for now but if and when new ones come up I'll add them here.
      Next I'll be describing some of the other changes planned.
    • By Pullock
      Hi everyone, just looking to get into astrophotography but looking at a DSLR as I'd like to use it for daytime use too, I know usually it's better for them to be modified but I've seen this can be done to allow use for both with only white balance adjustment. 
      I've seen 1300d's going around £200 on eBay with the 18-55mm lens but the 4000d is a couple of years newer and there is currently one with 18-55mm + 75-300mm going for £350 at Currys. From what I can work out there isn't much difference between them besides a smaller screen on the 4000d and the release date. I'm just wondering if there is some reason people go for the 1300d instead or is it just because of it being older it turns up cheaper?
      Sorry for the long winded post but I'm doing lots of research to make sure I get the best one that'll last me the longest, thanks for any help.
    • By harshit8
      Second attempt at astrophotography with my canon 1300D untracked (first was orion ). Shot under dark skies of himachal pradesh (India). 
      Stacking done in DSS and processing in Gimp.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated. especially regarding the trees at the bottom.
      Total exposure time - 20*20 seconds
      Shot with - Canon EOS 1300D (untracked) (unmodded)
      Flats and Biased frames included

• By Lachlan
      Hey everyone! I’m after some pretty wide-field DSOs that can be captured with an unmodified DSLR without too much struggle (apart from the Orion Nebula.) I can push my exposures up to around 3 minutes with no major star trailing but that’s about as far as I can go. Also I’m in the Southern Hemisphere so don’t have the luxury of choosing between many relatively bright Messier objects. Your suggestions are much appreciated! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.