Greetings, SGL

Gordontrek

Just created my account, and I'm very happy to join! I've been floating around here for a while now as a guest and have found a wealth of information from some really experienced astronomers. I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if I can't contribute some myself. 

A little about myself:

Though music is my first real passion, my second one was always astronomy and space travel. I was born, raised and still live in Alabama, not far from the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. As a kid, that big giant Saturn V replica became an obsession. It still is! When I wasn't practicing music, I was reading about the moon missions and collecting memorabilia. 

In the past two years or so the night sky really started to grab me. It's really hard to believe just how far away those little points of light are. So, this past summer, I finally got a good telescope. It's a Celestron Nexstar 114GT. So far I love it. It has great optics and is easy to use for an uncoordinated fella like me. A big step forward from that $50 Meade my parents got me when I was like 7 years old (which I had no idea how to take care of...)

I look forward to interacting with the community here! I know I'll benefit from everyone's knowledge, and I hope I can be of some help too.

Thanks!

Welcome Gordon. If the distances to the stars intrigues you, be sure to pick up some observing books which provide details about the objects being viewed. Such details really bring the objects to life while you're hunting them down.

Archived