SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neodymium Moon & Skyglow

OXO

Neodymium Review.

Reviewer James Dyson.

Filter:Neodymium Moon & Skyglow - Filter 1.25" (Baader).

Price, 27 pounds and comes with it's own Filter Case(Plastic) out of the Box.

Review,

The Neodymium Moon&Skyglow Filter from Baader Planetarium claims to drastically improve contrast in all Telescopes without any loss of brightness/light gathering and the development of the filter goes back to Carl Zeiss Jena of whom is a much respected manufacturer of filters for camera's and Lenses etc etc. It's also to be noted that Baader Planetarium say this filter will improve views of the Planets IE:MARS and JUPITER get mentioned quite often also for imaging purposes the filter is claimed to do well a more balanced RGB etc etc.

So what better way to test these claims than test the Filter out in the Field or backgarden in this case from a Lightpolluted area under a Moon glowing Sky!.

For the First Test i had chosen Mars using a Skywatcher Star Travel F/5 102mm Refractor and 10mm EP. Without the Filter Mars barely showed and details not a suprise there as this is a F/5 small refractor but hints of details did come out over the cause of a half hour observing session. Next i screwed the filter into the internal thread of the 10mm EP and realigned the scope to Mars, Straight away details could be seen easily and i noted a blue hue to the south of the Planet. Also the background surrounding the Planet was near Ink black as apposed to the white/red Glow before using the filter! so excellent result there. Following on from this test i pointed the scope at Saturn and the results were the same again giving excellent views of the planet using the filter ie:Cassini Division was on view with the filter and not without. Seeing results for these test were 5/10 at best throughout, light loss wasn't an issue with the filter something i was expecting.

Marks out of Ten for this test has to be 10/10!

Now for the second test M42 the Orion Nebula with a Toucam Pro SC1.5 modified webcam and the ST 102 F/5 Refractor as used for the Planetry Test.

image.jpg

As you can see from the Test images the difference Say's it all, the filter did an excellent job of cutting down the Lightpollution and also offered better RGB. Both shots were taken straight after each other and no setting's were changed on the camera (5secs exposure). One thing to note however is there is a slight loss of lightgathering/Brightness so there is a trade off here but personally i would go for use of the Filter after all stacking images of better quality will give you a better image at the end of the day and without the Lightpollution to process out this will save you a lot of time and effort with your processing. Also to note due to the Lightpollution being blocked exposures i would estimate could run to at the very least 8 times longer using the filter without the image being washed out.

Marks out of ten 8/10 a 2 point loss due to the evident light loss seen using the Filter.

Overall rating:

Build Quality/Design 10/10

Packageing 10/10

Value for Money 10/10

Performance 9/10

Additional Comments,

Due to the poor weather more test couldn't be done IE:more deepsky objects both at the eyepiece and imaging wise but, i have enjoyed using this Filter and will be going for the 2" version very soon with an idea of using the Filter with my Canon 300D DSLR.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good news is that those type of filters tend to work even better with bigger aperture scopes than on smaller ones.

....and the bad news is, no wonder I'm broke.... :sad3:

You need to get wheeler dealing in the secondhand market Caz, I couldn't have afforded half of my gear if I'd have had to buy it new!!

Is there any point in doubling up with an HA filter say?

I would have thought the HA (or a OIII) on it's own would block everything (and a damn site more) the Skyglow does. Maybe doubling a broadband filter of some kind would be useful but not a narrowband or line filter.

Logging on to the Baader website www.baader-planetarium.com they recommend the Moon & Skyglow filter as a contrast etc. booster for Reflectors.

They have another filter which is supposed to do the same for 'cheap Refractors'. This is called the Baader Contrast Booster filter. It appears to be a few quid dearer than the Moon & Skyglow. Baader claim it eliminates false colour on refractors, blocks lightglow, emphasises detail on Mars & Jupiter, Moon wil appear 'tack sharp'.... and so on. Sounds the one for me and my 'cheap refractor' - and I'll be able to sell all my other filters!

Anyone any experience of using the Contrast Booster filter?. I guess it's probably the Moon & Skyglow filter with additional correction for false colour in refractors ?

Moondog

Moondog,

Can't recommend the Contrast Booster (had too many returned!) but the fringe killer works well - if you don't mind the loss of light.

My advice: Don't worry about false colour on achromats; just think of all the money you saved. Besides, it only shows on the brighter objects.

After saying that, some people are rattled by even the merest hint of CA. If thats you, buy a reflector :lol:

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the advice.

My comment on the Contrast Booster was a bit tongue in cheek after reading the Baader glowing technical details!.

Usually something that promises to do everything doesn't do anything properly.

My TAL 100RS is liveable with for the very small amount of CA it shows on bright objects.... and think of the money I saved.

Moondog

Caz, you'll love this filter, it really does do what it says on the box. And it will work with the 8" by darkening the background sky, which in turn makes the deep sky object stand out better.

James, great review. And you won't regret getting the 2" version, it's a perfect partner for the 300D. Especially for shorter (under 2 mins) exposures like we do.

Russ

Has anyone ever used this filter in very light light polutted skies (if you see what I mean) will they still make a difference? How good is it a blocking the Moons light?

Gaz if you had seen my skies then the answer would be yes matey, i had the scope out last night looking at Jupiter and for this i after go outside the front of my house were there is lots of those horrid sodium lights and other lights, worked a treat mate. As for moon glow yep perfick!

James :lol:

Yesterday I try filter outside.

On Mars works very well and I can see Mars red colour like never before. I am certain that I saw polar cap. Too bad that I don't have this filter in Mars 2005 opposition. :lol:

I try it also on Saturn but there I can't see any difference. But I'm happy that I didn't detect almost any drop in brightens.

It is a good buy.

Saso

Archived