Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader mark iii hyperion zoom with 200P

Hi Folks

Happy new year!

Any of you use a baader mark iii hyperion zoom with a 200P.      I'm considering upgrading to this EP.    If so, any advice / feedback?   I'm guessing that the 2" fitting would be most appropriate, although my cherished UHC filter is of course 1.25".  

It's a very good zoom eyepiece. A bit narrower than the spec says at 24mm though. Using it in 2" format is good from a security point of view but it's optically a 1.25" eyepiece and using the 1.25" barrel would enable you to use your 1.25" filters with it.

Personally, witth the 200P I'd want additional eyepieces at the low power / wide angle end and high power end to have a complete set or a low and wide additional eyepiece plus the Baader barlow lens for the zoom to increase it's high power range.

The Baader zoom shows somewhat less astigmatism in faster scopes than the fixed focal length Hyperions do, interestingly.

Heya.

I`m very happy with my Baader Hyperion zoom (using Orion XT8i which is very similar to 200p I think, and I also use it on my Heritage 130p).

If you go for it, I would recommend you to go for the Baader Hyperion clickstop zoom + the 2.25 hyperion zoom barlow ('special bundle price' at FLO, really nice price).

I must emphasize that I am not the kind of person who like to switch eyepieces in the dark, so for me its perfect.

I do however miss a low power widefield.

Rune

PS Just noticed that this is exactly what John says in the post above... :smiley: .

I find the Hyperion zoom fine in my 200p , obviously edge correction is not perfect but it does not spoil the view for me. The main advantage of this eyepiece is you can zoom to the best magnification easily . Most nights I only use my zoom and a 38mm panaview. If you do have the spare funds and you dont have too many already as mentioned the barlow comes in very handy .

Thanks for this advice guys - very helpful!

In my ignorance I was thinking that the Baader zoom would cover all the bases as i) the 8mm setting would be fairly close to best resolution unless I was at a pretty dark site and the seeing was very good.   ii) what would I want to look at that wouldn't fit into the 24mm fov (maybe I'm suffering form tunnel vision) ?

Seemingly these are duff assumptions!  

I'm sure the seeing is pretty good on the west coast of Norway Rune - bet you've got a good coat though ;).

Interesting that you use a 38mm panaview Keith.   My 'reading of the books' suggests a minimum useful magnification of 7 x f, which is 35 for the 200P.   Having said this, I used to have a 40mm plossl and the view through this wasn't so bad - perhaps tending to go a bit black at the edges. 

'Reading of the books' was also necessary to remind me what a 'fast' telescope was.    Seems a strange term since all light goes pretty fast...   ...maybe its because the tendency for low f no. scopes to distort the image at the edge of the field of view?

I'll go away now and re-think my upgrade strategy!  

Mike you will not regret buying the zoom .

I dont do theoretical this or that , if it looks good it is good. The panaview in the short time I have had it spends the lions share of time in the scope. I got it for my C8 but in my evo and 200 its great as a finder eyepiece and I enjoy the wide views, the pleiades with is a rare sight ,the moon with stars in the fov just captivates me.

At 8mm you are getting 125x with the 200P newtonian which is what I'd call mid-range magnification in an 8" scope. The scope will support 200x relatively easily or even 250x when the seeing conditions are good. The 1 degree true field that the baader zoom delivers at 24mm will fit many deep sky objects in but, speaking personally, I feel it's nice to have something a bit wider for the larger objects such as M31, M42, the Veil Nebula and galaxy / DSO groupings.

I've got a skywatcher 150 Dob and I've used the hyperion zoom 3 pretty much since day 1. It's amazing as I'm not much of a EP changer, although I will be looking at a more wider field EP soon (if my wish for a 9" celestron evolution cones true).

Fingers crossed you don't get the free clouds in the box.

Archived