Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep8_banner.thumb.jpg.7fc4114c7705b14c0786cf342cea1f9c.jpg

pianorealm

Pleased with 1st ever images but can't seem to process?

Hello everyone.

I'm pretty new to astronomy and very new to imaging...WELL.....that is my first real session was last night!

However, I managed to image M42 and though I realize the images won't win any prizes I'm absolutely made up that I can at least recognize M42!

When I view the captured images in APT I think they look really good (to me). The'yre smooth and quite defined.

However, when I've tried to stack them or open them in DSS they look like......well......a Bayer matrix image! (I only know what one looks like and the terminology because I'm using Steve Richards excellent book 'Making every photon count'.

Even if I open the .png files in photoshop the image is much smaller and if I try to enlarge it....well it just sort of pixellates.

I don't really understand de-bayering but thought DSS did that automatically if I stacked and processed?

I'm using a Celestron 8 inch newtonian, Canon 350D and shooting in RAW.

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated. I've trawled the book and forums but got nowhere!

Many thanks, Howard

DSS Screenshot.doc

DSS image tiff.tif

Hi Howard. As  newbie, I have not seen that before and have no idea why it is doing that. Have you changed any of the settings in DSS? When you go into stacking parameters and click through the tabs for LIGHTS/BIAS/FLATS etc, you can change the settings and the methods for stacking etc. I have found that some combinations leave me with pure white screens or just black screens. Might be worth running the stack again, but make sure everything is set to AUTO, or whatever is at the top of the list and see if it will stack everything at a basic level. (I can't check the exact settings at the moment as I am stacking some Orion shots myself! ;-)

I know the older version of DSS had trouble with RAW files, although I never saw a result like that - have you got version 3.3.4 installed?

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon!

• Like 1

I suppose the other question I should have asked is whether you have actually managed to stack them? What process are you using to get your images into DSS?

• Like 1

Hi Howard. As  newbie, I have not seen that before and have no idea why it is doing that. Have you changed any of the settings in DSS? When you go into stacking parameters and click through the tabs for LIGHTS/BIAS/FLATS etc, you can change the settings and the methods for stacking etc. I have found that some combinations leave me with pure white screens or just black screens. Might be worth running the stack again, but make sure everything is set to AUTO, or whatever is at the top of the list and see if it will stack everything at a basic level. (I can't check the exact settings at the moment as I am stacking some Orion shots myself! ;-)

I know the older version of DSS had trouble with RAW files, although I never saw a result like that - have you got version 3.3.4 installed?

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon!

Thanks very much for your reply. I've actually changed nothing in DSS. It's the first time I've really used it so left everything on auto.

I have managed to stack some images with it but only 8 or so. The screen does look very white and washed out at first but if I move the sliders to the left the contrast seems fine. Just left with the'pixelly bayer matrix image'!

Cheers, H.

I suppose the other question I should have asked is whether you have actually managed to stack them? What process are you using to get your images into DSS

Hi. Thanks again. I've tried a couple of ways of getting the images into DSS.

1. In DSS open the APT files

2. Copy the APT files which are .png into a separate folder and then open them in DSS from that folder.

Cheers. H

Ah. No......I have 3.3.2 installed. Thought that was the latest as I've only just downloaded it today. Will check and try again. Thanks for that!

Have installed 3.3.4 from Yahoo usergroups but still have same problem?

Good call though, THANKS!

Yeah, have a look for the newer version which they link to on the DSS downloads page - might help?

Interesting that the files from the APT folder are PNG files? I was shooting in RAW last night and mine are all CRT format.....I am sure that doesn't make a difference, but you never know!

But I'm a novice, so am not too sure! Keep at it though, the first time you get something out the other end is amazing....it is worth the struggle! :-)

• Like 1

Yeah, have a look for the newer version which they link to on the DSS downloads page - might help?

Interesting that the files from the APT folder are PNG files? I was shooting in RAW last night and mine are all CRT format.....I am sure that doesn't make a difference, but you never know!

But I'm a novice, so am not too sure! Keep at it though, the first time you get something out the other end is amazing....it is worth the struggle! :-)

i guess you're looking at the thumbnails folder, isn't it?

here is jpeg and cr2 files, only in thumb folder there are the png's

• Like 2

i guess you're looking at the thumbnails folder, isn't it?

here is jpeg and cr2 files, only in thumb folder there are the png's

Oooops!!!!

OK....time to confess. Erm. I was actually trying to process the thumbnail images..DOH!

I didn't realise there are two separate folders, didn't even look at the size  of the images.

I live and learn. Thanks for your help guys.

Howard

Ha! Not a problem, its part of the learning process. I've been out with the scope wondering why I couldn't focus, only to realise I still had the lens cover on the telescope! Trying to remove it in such a way as it looked like I'd meant to leave it on is a challenge! ;-)

Good luck!