Hello SGL

Carling1664

Hello everyone, quite new to all this ! I started out with a Celestron travelmaster 70, quickly got the bug and saved up a lot and purchased a brand new Skywatcher eq5 pro synscan goto !! I am now saving up again to get the OTA ! Ive got my eyes on either the 150 pds or the 200pds ! Any useful info would be very appreciated.

Hello Carling1664 and welcome to SGL!!  The 150 would be well suited to the EQ5 - the 200P will go on but is near the weight limit for that mount.  The trouble is that for both visual and photography the mount is about the most important bit of kit.  The EQ5 is good (I use one myself for Solar imaging) as long as you don't overload it with too big a scope.

Hi Carling,

Welcome to SGL. A wise choice (150 instead of 200 on the EQ5) - I started with an EQ5 and the 200P and learned quickly that as soon as you start adding cameras etc, you are in trouble!   Not wanting to 'go backwards' with the OTA, I opted to change the mount instead (and if I'd known that the wife couldn't spot the difference between an EQ5 and an HEQ5 Pro, then I'd have gone for the NEQ6 !!!)

One option you could consider concerning the 150, is to go for the 150PL.  The EQ5 will handle the extra length without any problem and you get the bonus of the extra focal length.

Also, if you've not already done so, download a free bit of software called "Stellarium" - a really, REALLY, useful tool.

Clear skies!

Paul (The BSG)

Archived