Logged on from Stockholm, Sweden

tjol

Hi all,

Obviously you're supposed to introduce yourself ones you've registered, so here it is:

I've used the forum extensively for all kind of reasons, without registering, but there is a limit, and I've reached it.

I'm a middle aged (sounds terrible :smiley:) Swedish amateur astronomer, at least that's what I would like to see myself as. I have loved astronomy and the skies for ever, but it wasn't until the beginning of 2013 that I could afford, or prioritized affording a telescope and some extra things to it. So now I'm a proud owner of a Sky-Watchers Explorer 200P DS, with a Celestron CG5 mount, and a couple of nice eyepieces, a Baader Hyperion 5 mm and a Baader Hyperion zoom 8-24 mm.

I still have a lot to learn just to get the first really good picture of a deep sky object. It wasn't until a couple of days ago I managed to get these two:

Andromeda Galaxy

Andromeda Galaxy 2014-12-27

M106

M106

Looking forward to making better pictures than that.

Great to be here.

Talk to you sooner or later.

Cheers

Tom

Hi swag72, thanks for the welcoming. I sure will have questions, so it's good to know who to turn to. BTW those pictures of yours on Flickr, are mind blowing. That's what I'm trying to achieve, but it beats me how I will be able to do that with the gear I have. I'm not ready to invest in a CCD yet, so I hope my 550D still has better performance than what I posted above.  :smiley:

Thank you all for your welcoming. This is obviously the place to be :smiley: . And thank you for the compliments on the pics, though I myself was a bit disappointed that I couldn't get more colour in them. Maybe it isn't possible, or maybe someone can help me with it. I'm a novice at PixInsight, and there's really too much that's possible to do with it that it'll take a long time to learn, so it would be nice to get some help with it.

And Thomas, it would be nice to meet up some time. Maybe you know of some events in the Stockholm area that would be interesting for me to visit.

Again, thank you all. Nice to be here.

Hi Tom, welcome to SGL and 2015!   A good start with the images too.  Has your 550d been astro-modified?  If not, then I would consider getting it done or perhaps going further and having it converted to mono (though this is a risky process).  Nice choice of 'scope ;)

Paul (The BSG)

Hi Paul,

And thanks.

No, my camera still has the IR filter, but I'm thinking about either having it modified or do it myself... or buy a cheap used one and modify it, so it doesn't hurt as much if it breaks. :-)

But the strange thing is that I have no problems getting colors in my pictures, latest example is M82 that I had lots of colors of, it just that when I stack them the colors disappear. Could be that I have something wrong I the settings in DSS, or I save the master light frame I the wrong format. I'm looking into it. But if you have some tips of what I can do in the post processing part to save the color information I'm eager to try them out.

Tom

Archived