Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimation Query

Hi everyone. Have now got my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p, but have problems with collimation & aligning the finder scope, despite reading all the various instructions I can find. I know they're straightforward tasks but as a complete beginner (& very much a "non-Techy" type!) I'm still struggling. I'm therefore hoping to get some hands-on assistance from the shop I bought it from (Tring Astronomy) as they said they'd gladly do this. My question is this:- once they've collimated the 'scope, is the 45 minute car journey back home likely to knock the collimation out again? What is it exactly that throws the collimation out? Moving the 'scope around? Temperature changes? Other things?? Obviously hoping that this will be a one-off trip & that, having been shown what to do by an expert, I'll be able to do it myself thereafter. Sorry for the (probably daft) questions.Thanks. TSG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not daft all.Well worth the drive in order to learn hands on from an expert. Just be prepared to spend something, impossible to go into such a shop and not do. ;)

The drive should be OK providing you don't bash the tube about. Everything you mention can have an effect, but these 200P telescopes are very forgiving. My secondary has not gone out of line in over 12 months and the primary just requires a small tweak now and then.

You'll soon get the hang of things.

Align finder, point main telescope at distant object, center in eyepiece, then look through finder and adjust finder until same object is centered in finder view. Job done. Tweak at night on a bright star.

As said, once the secondary is set, they pretty well stay that way, but the primary will need a little tweak before each use, the good news is this is the really easy part, i was advised by Moonshane the collimation guru to use a short "refractor" cheshire, and it just happens that i had one kicking about, this is great for doing the primary only taking 30 seconds

Thanks guys. Finder scope now aligned with main 'scope. Amazed at how easy that was! FANTASTIC moon views tonight despite the collimation issues. Will try collimating in daylight tomorrow. One more quick question - I bought the laser type, not the Cheshire. Everything I read suggests the Cheshire is better/easier. Should I get a Cheshire too? Thanks. TSG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone has their favourite way of doing it. Once the collimation is roughly right the laser is very easy to tweak it as necessary, and you can do it in the dark. I have both but I haven't used my cheshire for the best part of a year.

I was happy just with the collimation cap, but it gives you doubts? I then chose a laser, their not  fool proof either, and finally  I purchased a  Cheshire.

I prefer the Cheshire for  its accuracy, but I still use the Laser with a Barlow, to quickly check the primary mirror alignment when I get to a viewing site. I cushion my telescope in Duvets across the back seat of my car. To be honest, if I adjust the primary mirror, its normally just for the sake of it, as collimation seems ok every time I check.  I find the task of collimating easy to understand and complete, and my views are good.

I'll quite happily mess with my telescope, which gives me a better understanding of its construction and set-up. I don't think twice about taking the mirror cell right out and refitting it, just for the fun of it, and then getting a  nice clean sharp  image during my next observation.

Once you understand the procedure and the theory, you'll wonder  if there was any issue in the first place. You will become adept at collimating, it just takes time for some folk. be patient, and stay keen.

Have a good read of this http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/169

It simplifies the process and dispels a few myths. After reading I collimated my 250px with nothing more than home made collimation cap and a star test.

It pays to get used to this process and not to be scared of playing about with the mirrors to get a full understanding of how your scope works.

Unless you understand what is happening optically, a Laser will be useless and can make things more confusing especially if the secondary mirror is not aligned well. 

Paul  

I have the Orion LaserMate Deluxe II. It also claims it's aligned (collimated) at the factory and will stay that way. I tested it: It truly is! And it's less expensive than a few I could mention.

I also have a Cheshire/Sight-tube. I use both, prior to an outdoor star-test to tweak as needed. The first time you work on collimating your scope, it seems like the worst thing you ever did to yourself! But once you get it right - it's like riding the proverbial bicycle! Becomes very easy. I actually enjoy it these days.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived