Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Software

frosty

Anyone any advice on imaging software available for a beginner. I have a Canon EOS 1100d. Also is there different software for planets, nebula, stars etc ?.

Keen to get started but this is a whole new ball game to me, any help would be greatly appreiciated.

For Planets, you would tend to take AVI, thus use different software to that of still images.

However;

DPP, Canon software to view Raw files, and start processing

DSS, stacking software, stacks images together,

SharpCap2/Firecapture, webcam/video capture software,

PIPP, planetary image preprocessing software,

AS2, stacking software (video),

APT, image capture/guiding software,

PHD/PHD2, guiding software,

RegiStax6, AVI stacking software, and single image wavelet tweaking for processing Planetary images (mainly),

PhotoShop, image processing, (paid for)

DXO, image processing, (paid for)

Gimp, similar to PS but free,

Fitswork, free Nasa software for starting with FIT files.

There are others, but these are just some of my DeskTop short cuts.

You will note that there is a HUGE learning curve with AP, as a beginner I find that starting with Planets/Moon and Widefield is about where I am at, at the moment. I will dabble into DSO/Nebulae etc but non of the kit in my signature is really designed for dedicated AP.

And yes, there is much more to AP than simply sticking the DSLR on the telescope. A solid and expensive EQ Mount is a minimum requirement for creating some of the fantastic images that the guys produce. (+ years of dedicated practice).

However, very pleasing results can be acheived when using a camera lens and no telescope for Widefield imaging.

The main thing is do not be put off by thinking 'you can't' or this is 'too difficult', or 'impossible' with your kit. If light can be captured, then an image can be created albeit of varying quality/detail.

Please yourself first, and have fun practicing/learning. Read the imaging sections and pay attention to the processing/capture details, if you like an image, make a note of the settings to try out.

Oh and practice focusing until your eyes pop. ;)

I also use Backyard OES to manage my Canon 1000D and my imaging session.

It's a great piece of software but it's not free (40$US) you can also get the equivalent (APT) for free but I prefer BOES interface, you can try it for free

For planetary is use an old webcam with a 15€ nosepiece adapter. It's cheap (in terme of price not in term of quality)

My DSLR is dedicated tor deepsky AP,  until I get a decent CCD camera. The cost of going CCD for deepsky is quite high when you include the cost of filters+wheel ...

I'll stick with the Canon DSLR for now :)

I use Backyard EOS with my Cannon 600D attached to a Celestron 8SE, then either Deep Sky Stacker or Nebulosity for stacking and preliminary processing, followed by final touch up in Photoshop. Still learning though !!

Keith

Anyone any advice on imaging software available for a beginner. I have a Canon EOS 1100d. Also is there different software for planets, nebula, stars etc ?.

Keen to get started but this is a whole new ball game to me, any help would be greatly appreiciated.

To get better long exposures you will need tracking, what mount do you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I really recommend Backyard EOS as stated above - the user interface is great. 

Peter

Same here.

I am currently using Backyard EOS, and it is a really great piece of software. Great user interface. Easy camera control and hook up. Also allows for control of telescope and electric focusers and filter wheels.

After that I use DSS for stacking and aligning. And then I do pretty much everything else in Photoshop.

Christopher

Archived