Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

After Polar Alignment - whats the next steps?

I have a HEQ5 mount & 200p scope.

After balancing and levelling everything out, I perform a polar alignment using the polar finder scope built into the HEQ5.

As close as possible I place polaris into the some circle in the polar finder.

My question is, once done - what should I do next?

(using EQASCOM) 

a) reset the mount back to its Home position? - then connect power and connect to Cartes du Ciel?

or do I 

B) connect power and connect to Cartes du Ciel?

As a next step, would I then begin to slew / align / sync - against a few stars until I feel I am aligned as good as possible?

Thanks

You can connect to EQMOD for polar alignment. There's a youtube video tutorial out there.

Basic idea is - center the polar star in center cross of your polar scope - then adjust only the altitude screw until it meets the circle (either at 12 or 6 o'clock) - then rotate your scope by slewing East or West until the little circle has Polaris in it's center - then open the polar alignment tool within EQMOD - choose the starting "clock position" as 12 or 6 depending on where you placed the circle - then click the little yellow star in the alignment tool and EQMOD will place the circle on the right position automatically for you - then adjust your alt/az screws until you have Polaris back in the little circle - done.

close the polar alignment tool - click on park to home position and off you go.

I follow this with a run of "alignmaster" to fine tune my polar alignment once more (it's usually out by a very minor fraction). Then park in home and then start syncing stars around the area, which I'm going to image to build a skymap for EQMOD (during this time I focus with a Bahtinov mask on a very bright star) - in the end I slew to my target, frame it and start imaging.

Hope that makes sense.

Archived