Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Online course

Kaznkev

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st week done and 5 out of 5 at the end of week quiz. I do hope the remaining weeks become a little more scientific. I feel the first week was a bit dumbed down, but I hope this is to gently break everyone in!!

I've not taken any photos with the recommended SLR (too cloudy!!) and it hasn't hindered me. As Kaznkev said, it's just to get people out looking.

Just getting into this.

Week 1 - I realise that I've never actually taken a picture of the night sky!!!!! Looks like there will be a window tonight.

I have an old Nikon D200 which hasn't been used for a few years. Lack of spare hands due to a multitude of small children have turned me into an iPhone photographer. Looking forward to using a proper camera again.

Paul

I'm the same as you Paul, I have a Nikon D40 that I haven't used in years, need to workout how to get the long exposure settings, but nice to have a go, nothing to lose and the course is interesting, just my artistic abilities limit me in the Constellation creation.

I'm the same as you Paul, I have a Nikon D40 that I haven't used in years, need to workout how to get the long exposure settings, but nice to have a go, nothing to lose and the course is interesting, just my artistic abilities limit me in the Constellation creation.

This course is about taking a constellation photo of your view of Orion in your local area.

So each week you will take a new image from exactly the same spot and orientation and time so at the end all 4 images will illustrate how the sky moves. I will try to have trees in mine as good landmarks.

It is not at this stage about long exposure shots showing the nebular using a tracking mount.

That is how I read the exercise.

So I will attempt mine later with the kit lens.

The course so far is a lot lighter than The Moons one but still interesting.

I have enjoyed looking at other people's local constellation shots of Orion with their landmarks in the Flkr stream here.

The course so far is a lot lighter than The Moons one but still interesting.

Slight understatement. ;)

If a course such as this helps to get people out under the sky, I'm all for it. The more people observing, can only have wider reaching benefits in the long term. More awareness about LP being just one benefit.

My shots, will also be lens based,if the weather ever plays ball.

I've completed the 1st week except from taking the photos. It's been too cloudy to get a decent view of anything here.

I've downloaded the "intellicast" app to see if it's any good for predicting good cloudless sky's.

Anyone use any other apps or sites for weather conditions?

I've completed the 1st week except from taking the photos. It's been too cloudy to get a decent view of anything here.

I've downloaded the "intellicast" app to see if it's any good for predicting good cloudless sky's.

Anyone use any other apps or sites for weather conditions?

I use "Scope Nights". I have an iPhone, so it's from the Apple Store. I don't know if it's available on the android platform. I quite like it and it's usually pretty accurate at telling me what the conditions will be like. For instance tonight it says "good" and I can stargaze all night!! The rest of the week is poor.

I've been out to take my Orion photo. I have it, but it's not that good. Too much light pollution from the houses that its above (lights on etc). I would wait till later but I have an early start for work.

Al

That's week 2 almost done. I have still got the quiz to do but I've watched the videos and read all the pages.

I don't know if it's just me or not but this week has a lot more info that I hope I have taken in ok.

There is no way I will remember all the massive temperatures and distances after reading it once.

I might go over this weeks again.

just finished week 2 as well, found it a lot more intensive and thought would have to know some maths for the quiz (not my strongest point) no need to worry though, found the quiz part easier than week one quiz

I'm working through week 2. Glad to be hitting some more chunky topics. Plenty of background reading to be done before I can get close to cracking the mysteries of the HZ diagram. I have always meant to get to grips with this properly. Now is my chance!

Paul

How's everyone doing with the course? I've done not too bad and really enjoying it. I've got a feeling this week might get a bit harder.

Has anyone done a OU course? What's the test like? Is just the same as the test at the end of each week?

I'm really enjoying it. Most of it is fairly basic but the bits I already knew are useful reminders and the course is so worth doing for the new bits I'm learning. Thank you to the original poster as I wouldn't have known about this course otherwise. Really well worth doing.

New one starts on Feb 2nd called moons

I've signed up for this one

I've signed up for this one too.

Just finished the Orion course and got 26 out of 30.

One of the ones I got wrong I knew the answer but pressed the wrong one because I doubted myself.

As a beginner I'm still happy with the 26.

Archived