Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Online course

Kaznkev

I've signed up for this one too.

Just finished the Orion course and got 26 out of 30.

One of the ones I got wrong I knew the answer but pressed the wrong one because I doubted myself.

As a beginner I'm still happy with the 26.

I've signed up for the moons too.

I did the same on one of my questions and I think I was a bit lucky on a couple!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can do this at your own pace, all it means is the comments other people left will be a while behind the current date so the debate wont be active.

The only thing you do miss are the odd video group sessions I think there were two when I did the Moon course last year, Goggle Hangout session.

You can do this at your own pace, all it means is the comments other people left will be a while behind the current date so the debate wont be active.

The only thing you do miss are the odd video group sessions I think there were two when I did the Moon course last year, Goggle Hangout session.

they aint doing those video sessions this time around, but are linking back to the original ones so new students can watch them

I did Orion course and enjoyed it. Signed up for Higgs Boson course but am wildly behind due to other commitments, but hope to complete in due course. Some of the maths in week one was a bit challenging and no idea how I managed to get 18/20 in two tests - I think I was just working from general principles and hoping!

My 'real' graduate courses start March 2nd, so being an overachiever I'm gonna start 1-2 courses on this website as well, fascinating courses are available (besides astronomy stuff). I signed up for Propaganda in Everyday Lives and Interview Skills. 

Well I'm the reverse of some of you on here, I'm doing the course and then joined the Forum! Looking into possibly buying a telescope, but have borrowed one to play with. Just about to start week 5, looking forward to seeing how much Geology knowledge I retain from my rather poor 6th Form study!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished the moons course.

Some of it was a bit difficult for me to keep my interest and then other bits were fascinating.

I couldn't really get into the weeks about studying the rocks and finding out what they are made up of but finding out about the different moons and what their surfaces and even bellow their surfaces are was really interesting.

Nearly finished, just the last two tests to go, which I'll do later today. I didn't mind the rocks bit, but didn't really enjoy the recent bits about "what is life". Overall though I've really enjoyed it.  Registered my interest in the Orion course.

Just finished the last week of the Moons course. Bit of a curate's egg especially the Moon mineral sections. A lot of information and lots of additional links to read further. Luckily the course coincided with the eclipse which was good. I'd recommend the course to others, it lasts 8 weeks. Would have liked them to include some actual observing in the course which could have taken in the Moon and the larger Jovian Moons right now. I've sent in some ideas to include more on the formation of craters and ideas to widen the course out in the less science-based areas such as the literature, films and politics of going to the Moon.

They also do a shorter course on star formation entitled 'Orion'.

Cheers,

Steve

Finished earlier today. I can see why the Moon minerals was a sticking point for a lot of people though. (I guess this was a focus because David Rothberg is a Geologist!). Overall though I thought the balance was pretty good. The course certainly inspired me to buy a Telescope! I think that if they added some observing then that could exclude/deter some people  (although there's no reason the Moon couldn't be included, other than weather). I agree the cultural side could be expanded a touch, although there were a few people who didn't appreciate the small amount that was there. ("Through my Telescope" references would be appreciated!!)

Obviously I love your Avatar :laugh:  :wink:

• 1 month later...

I completed the last Coursera Intro to Astronomy course run by Duke University. I found it quite intense and some of the Maths was a step too far. I put the hours in though, I'd say about 12 per week and came out with 87.5% just shy of a distinction. The resources available are phenomenal and downloadable to iTunes so I can keep looking back whenever I like. There seems to be a high drop out rate as I recall about 20,000 registrations but only several hundred certificates issued. The lecturer is very easy to listen too. Recommended.

Archived