Hi from Tony in Yorkshire

Tonytyke

Hi - Just had the first look through second user Helios scope Christmas present - excuse my ignorance, but where/when should I look for Jupiter and her moons please ? There is a moon lens on at the moment, but I have an H8mm too- very excited, assistance most welcome !!

Hello and welcome to SGL!

Try downloading Stellarium, it'll show you Jupiter's position and a fair amount more.

Look due East at 22:00 and it'll be about 20° above the horizon.

As Michael says, it's definitely the brightest thing you'll see (after the moon). :)

Welcome Tony. As said in previous posts, Jupiter will rise from the North East and be very bright. You will recognise it by the 4 moons which appear in a line either side. Positions vary, but they should be quite obvious. You should also see banding on the disc. Altogether a wonderful sight, one which even seasoned astronomers come back to time and again.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes snd clear skies

Jason

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. Good suggestion by Ben and others above regarding downloading the free planetarium software called Stellarium. Easy to use with lots of great features and you can advance the date/time feature for precisely the reason of your question. to see when and where items will appear.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi - Just had the first look through second user Helios scope Christmas present - excuse my ignorance, but where/when should I look for Jupiter and her moons please ? There is a moon lens on at the moment, but I have an H8mm too- very excited, assistance most welcome !!

Hi Tony, welcome to SGL.

Being local you could check out the WADAS thread on here and come to one of our meetings we are an active, friendly bunch and get out quite often for a meet up.

On the 15th of Jan have Chris lintott giving a lecture in wakefield at QEGS.

Damian

Archived