Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello everyone!

Star-Lord

Hi everyone,

I've been a bit of a lurker for a little bit, I've always had an interest in astronomy and since undertaking my degree in Mathematics & Physics I've found that I've been more interested in the 'astrophysics' side rather than the 'micro' physics side. (I'm only in my 1st year so far).

I've found that I'm getting really interested in DSO's and our solar system etc and luckily for xmas my partner bought me my 1st telescope! (yay!!!) (A Sky-Watcher Heritage 76 Mini-Dob)

This is after months of my talking to her about astronomy and showing her articles in Sky at night magazing and astronomky books I've picked up. I'm getting to know my way around the constellations by eye when I can find them.

I know that my 'scope has limitations but I'm happy with what I can see for now, Juputer as a bigger dot and some of Pleiades.
---

Over this next year I want to really nail locating objects in the night sky and night time seasons etc... I'm also hoping to save up and buy a Sky-Watcher 200p Dobsonian next year, I've read that that is a good start for the intermediate astronomer.
I'm also interested in astrophotography but I'll need to get a DSLR first (going to try to get a Canon 1100D for a good price, about £250) and then move to a sky-Watcher 200p EQ-5 Newtonian.

I think I'll go Dobsonian first then try to go for the Newtonian EQ-5.

Sorry to rant, just voicing my thoughts etc...

Hoping to learn a lot here and get some tips along the way etc.

Star-Lord

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

The 200 is an excellent scope and a good choice.

Thanks, I've read up on it and it sounds great!

One day towards Autumn next year I hope to have a 'SW 200p Dob' (saving up for a wedding atm so cant splash out too much).

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  Definitely a great choice of scope, I too would love to do AP, but after taking advice from the good folks here decided to learn my way around the sky first with the 200P Dob then hopefully at some stage progress to an EQ mount  & scope for AP. :grin:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Looking forward to going out into the garden tonight!

Unfortunately my area is quite light polluted but I can still see Orion, Sirius, Jupiter, Pleiades etc!

Hi,

Did you get my PM I sent about the 1100D camera??

:)

SS

Archived