Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

starting a new astronomy society

hi guys after very long deliberations and chatting to a few of the members on here I have decided to bite the bullet and try to start a new astronomical society in swindon and in my humble opinion its been a long time coming so any help and advice would be most very very welcome

i was thinking of calling it Swindon Town Astronomical Research Society or STAR for short will keep you all posted as to how its progressing

regards Pete aka timetraveller

Pete,

Well I know that I wouldn't go to a club called that, the word research would definitely put me off coming along.

I would be of the opinion the society was too high brow for me and that I wouldn't fit in because I'm just a casual observer.

"research" has connotations of professionalism and I'm certainly not like that :afro:

Sorry to be so negative but that's how I'd feel.

--

Martyn.

hi Martyn

thank you for your comments the name is not fixed in stone by any means and is totally open to suggestions the only reason i thought of it was because i was trying to keep away from S A S for obvious reasons but i would take issue with you over your idea that research is the pure domain of professionals there is and has always been huge potential for amateur Astronomers to add to the knowledge and greater understanding in fact amateurs in some ways are much better placed than professionals to actually make important discoveries we are not so constrained as our professional colleagues by either research grants or by actual observation time professionals have huge constraints on viewing time placed upon them and on a more down to earth basis amateur simply means not paid for the work and not a question of our understanding or capability within our chosen field of study

Why not just "Swindon Astronomical Society" (Though I suppose it might be unwise to incur the wrath of the REAL SAS?) I'm not a soccer devotee, but I sense, those who are, find it hard to stay neutral over phrases like "Swindon Town". Some wag is bound to suggest appending the word "Nil" to the name ... Appropriate for many a local team? :D

Buy I think many people would GUESS (web-search) unknown club names as: "[Place] Astronomical Society". :afro:

hi guys with referrence to the name you are probably right as I posted earlier nothing at this stage is even set in wet sand let alone stone I was really just thinking out loud ref the original name and at the end of the day it really wont be up to me alone but hopefully to all the nice people who will join it. as an aside have you read my latest post in the lounge i would really like some feed back on that as i would like to find out just how other people view the hobby. see real research :sunny:

hi guys can i just add a quick piece of info regards the club please

can i just let you know that I'm due to go into hospital at the end of this month for surgery on my left leg which means i will be off my feet for a few weeks so there will be some delay before i can start getting things organised properly so please be a little patient with me if you'll pardon the pun

Archived