Finding the Planets

Dogsnogger

Hi

I am new to the site and am after a bit of advice as i am a complete beginner when it comes to star gazing!

i got a Skywatcher 130 for christmas and can just about find the moon with it!  do i really nedd to polar align it befor i can truely begin watching the stars and do i have to do this every time i do?

How difficult is it to locate the planets, i have a star map but have to admit i am a bit daunted by dials and settings on my telescope!

can anyone please help or ofdfer advice

Many thanks

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:  Jupiter is very easy to find at the moment, rising in the east in the constelation Leo around 8pm. it is very bright and its moons can be see through your telescope comfortably. Venus will be an easy spot as January progresses as well, low in the west after sunset.

down load stellarium http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/ it is free planetarium for your PC. Calsky is also a very usefull site for all things astronomy http://www.calsky.com/

Welcome to SGL. No you don't need to Polar Align in order to enjoy the telescope. But you will need to be able to use the flexible control knobs when observing in order to remain on target. (assuming that you have an EQ Mount).

For quick visual use, I regularly plonk the mount with the N leg towards compass north and enjoy the views.

Polar aligning is required for imaging with this type of kit, more advanced kit can be computer controlled, so even then the problem can be avoided.

A star atlas is a really good starter for finding your way around the sky and learning your constellations.You don't have to spend loads to get one. You will find a monthy star chart in the Astronomy Now magazine and the Sky at Night Mag. There are a number of apps for Mobile phones and I Pads which are also very useful for finding your way around. Best of luck and enjoy

You dont need to polar align accurately for visual. As above place the leg with N on it to face roughly north and ensure your latitude is set on the mount e.g. Manchester is 53°.

Planets are not in star maps as they move to a different place in the sky over time.

http://m.nakedeyeplanets.com/index.htm

is a good online guide.

I use an app called Startracker on my iPhone, it's great for helping you find your way round the sky, just tell it what you want to find and it will guide you to the object. Once you've found it in the sky, you just point your scope at it. After my scope, it's the second best thing. Just need an app to make the clouds go away :laugh:

Also, ignore the dials on the mount as they're really not accurate enough to be of any use. When observing Jupiter dont be put off by the initial view, it takes time at the eyepiece to eke out the detail. Get it in your finderscope pop a 25mm ep in to get it in view through the scope. Centre the planet & replace the 25 with a 10mm (I'm assuming you've got both these ep's as they usually come with the scope.

Steve

Hi Dogsnogger and welcome to SGL, from the foregoing threads you should have enough information to find what you want. However, finding your way about the night sky is not any easy task for those just starting out and needs some practice, persevere and everything should begin to fall into place, enjoy your new scope :icon_santa:

Hi Dogsnogger and welcome to the lounge, good advice above, what I have done for quick polar alignment when visual observing, once your latitude is set and aligned due north I marked the position of the tripod feet on the patio so every setup thereafter is quick and spot on.

Thank you all so much for your help! i must say it is a relief to know i dont have to faff about with the dials!  i was a iittle disheartned at this. i took my scope out last night and just pointed it at the sky, seemed to work!!  i will certainy take all of the advice offered

Planets are bright and don't twinkle. Once you get a feel for some of the zodiac constellations, planets are the bright stars which move - ie look like they shouldn't be there. Stellarium is what I use to see what is up for my site at any given evening.

Matt

Hi and welcome to the forum. Some good advice from Pete and Rich above regarding Stellarium and setting up your gear. Astronomy isn't difficult to get to grips with, though I will confess that there is a lot of it to learn - but there's no rush!  :grin: Don't hesitate to ask more questions by posting in the relevant section as the need arises.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Archived