Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Murphy's Law !!

malc-c

Not used the observatory for some time, but tonight looked promising. 

Just went out, temperature is minus 2.2C, opened up the observatory, powered up the PC and power supply and proceeded to unlock the roof and roll it back.  However having released the lock bolts the thing wouldn't budge.  I could lift up one end, but the other where it forms an overlap seal with the warm room roof refused to move - it was frozen solid !

On investigation with a torch it seemed that ice has formed in the small gap where the roll off section meets the warm room roof.  Not wanting to risk ripping the felt off the warm room roof I've opted to turn everything off and wait for it to warm up before making some alterations.

Oh well !

My roof rails are specifically constructed to be open, L-shaped, outward facing and therefore self draining. The idea being that any water/snow/leaves can't be trapped and falls off.

When it snows it is a good idea to brush out your runner channels while the snow is soft as it has a tendancy to freeze freeze into solid lumps. Last thing you need on a crisp viewing night is to be up there on step ladders trying to chisel ice off to get the roof open!

I'm all in favour of Occam's Razor.  Correctly employed it is a very useful tool.  Unfortunately it doesn't see anywhere near the amount of use it deserves.

Of course the corollary to Murphy's Law states that if you do design your runners to shed water and clean off snow so they don't ice up, we'll have a heat wave and they'll expand and buckle instead :)

James

Of course the corollary to Murphy's Law states that if you do design your runners to shed water and clean off snow so they don't ice up, we'll have a heat wave and they'll expand and buckle instead :)

James

LOL - many a true word said in jest !

I place square guttering inverted over the rails to keep snow and ice off and the rain from blowing along the rails and into the Obsy,  which did happen once.

Got fed up taking the kettle out to thaw the ice off the runners, was a good chance I was going to damage the roof trying to force it.  Have no issues what so ever now.

Mark

Archived