help please

stephk

hi

i got the celestron 114 eq astromaster for xmas. im very keen on stargazing but have no idea where to start! can anyone advise on what settings i need my telescope on?? is there anyone local to me that could offer advise and show me how to use the telescope correctly???

the cd guide that came with the telescope wont work in my laptop so dont know where to start! ive managed to put the telescope together ok, but not sure where to start now. any advise would be very grateful. thanks steph..... 

Hi

The first thing is during the day point the telescope towards a distant object like a chimney (not the sun).

Put the eye piece with the biggest number in the focuser tube.

Adjust till focused on the distant object and it is in the middle of the field of view.

Now adjust the finder to be pointing to the same object.

Then swap to your lowest numbered eyepiece and check the finder and telescope still line up.

Your tripod is not something I am familiar with. Can't help there.

Software, stellarium is great and free to download.

Not going to be much help, there are 3 main aspects.

Assembling the scope,  you say you have managed this.

Setting up the mount,

Aligning scope and finder. Daytimne exercise on something distant 2 miles distant.

Will point you at the Celestron site:

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/astromaster-114eq-telescope

Just found that if you click on the first picture it gives you a bigger image, click through each one and at the end is a video to assemble and set up. OR, quicker just click the right hand square (last one) at the bottom of the - that is the video.

Suspect it is the one that will not work for you.

Try that.

May be "simplest" to have a good look at the first image and that in general is what you are aiming to get to.

I really do not want to try and explain setting up an EQ mount.

Now this is 100% guesswork:

Look at the 5th image (sort of a close in shot), there is just abovewhere the tripod head what looks like a screw going through I assume that on the side we cannot see is a dial (???) If so then (WITHOUT THE SCOPE ON) loosen the screw and set the dial to a little over 52 (53 may be best if you can), then retighten. That is your latitude setting for your location.

After that I have to bow out, simply too much detail to go into before you have got to grips with it a bit more.

Hi Steph,

I'll kick things off and let me know if I am speaking too 'newbie' for you, I am just assuming you are new to astronomy and telescopes :)

Firstly you can do something to ready yourself during the day by aligning the red dot finder with the telescope itself. The telescope will give you an upside down back to front image but using the lowest power eyepiece (this will be the highest number in mm of your supplied eyepieces)focus on something like a nearby chimney (100m away?) or a tree that you readily identify. Then turn on your red dot finder and adjust the screws on it's base/side to coincide with the same point. now when you point the red dot at something in the sky it will match with your telescope view.

The first thing to do outside if it is clear is to set the mount up to point in the very close proximity of the pole star. What this means is that the long bar that pokes out of the mount that holds the counterweights needs to be pointed north on a compass (smart phones sometimes have a compass) The more accurately you can do this the better but don't worry to much at this stage. Basically with the eq (equatorial) mount pointing at this spot the sky will appear to revolve around it so you can use the controls to gently track objects more easily. I am not familiar with the scope so not sure if it has drives or is manual. Also there should be an adjustment on the mount for latitude (South Derbyshire is around 53 degrees???) so if you can get the pointer or needle on or close to this this will make things more accurate for tracking.

The next thing to do is balance the telescope in its cradle/rings so there is not too much weight at one end. Basically (and with care- make sure the telescope rings are snugly tight) you can undo the tightener handles/gears on the mount and the telescope should act like a see-saw - you need to find the point in the middle by balancing the scope so it rests in the horizontal position with an eyepiece in. Then swing the mount back to its starting position (usually indicated with a pair of opposing arrows).

You should leave the telescope to cool down for around 30 mins - an hour before viewing to let the mirrors acclimatise to the conditions and give you a better view.

I'll leave it at that for now and ask again if you need anything more.

There is an east midlands stargazing group that takes in Derbyshire I think - you can check here there is a section and/or I can recommend the White Peak Group based around Cromford, Derbyshire.

Regards

Dannae

You can use your telescope as soon as you go out side but with the eye piece with the biggest number as the low power will be less affected by the heat in your telescope as it cools. I never wait I just don't expect the best views before it has cooled down.

Hello Steph.

A warm welcome to SGL. 

You will enjoy it here, lots of helpful members, and you will make a lot of friends here.

An astronomical telescope is difficult to get to grips with when you are a complete novice,

and I think the best way forward initially for you, is to find a local Astronomy Society, and join their club.

It will have many experienced guys and Gals there, and they will guide you through your telescope and it's use.

I've put a link to a Society in Derby, so have a look, and look at all the tabs below their name at the top.

You can still seek guidance here on SGL, but hands on tuition is always best.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

http://www.derbyastronomy.org/

Hi and welcome to SGL - You've got good advice so far and certainly as a personal who never looks through my scope I couldn't offer anything more helpful. Have you done a google search for astro clubs near you?

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Archived