Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

craigfoot

Observation targets

Hi all

So assuming I get a clear night or two over the next week, what would be the best targets for my 130mm skywatcher (900mm flength) and 5, 8, 15 & 25mm EPs?

Cheers

Craig

Top target for the winter has to be the Orion Nebula - M42/3 - , while in the area look at the belt stars - Mintaka, the west-most is an easy double - just below Alnitak, the eastern star is another fine multiple system, sigma Orionis.

Have you looked at M45, the Pleiades ? Not to be missed.

When you've had a good look around Orion hop over to Gemini for another nice double, Castor, this is a bit tricky and needs steady seeing. At the other end of the chain of stars starting with Castor is a gorgeous open cluster M35.

To find these gems down load Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

There is plenty of good stuff to find at this time of year, don't forget Jupiter is becoming a late evening object and another on the "not to be missed" list.

Good luck and clear skies.

• Like 3

Jupiter, Orion Nebula (M42), Aldebaren and Hyades cluster, Pleiades (M45), Double Cluser (C14).

Single stars: Betelguese, Rigel, Sirius.

Doubles: Albireo (if early), Mizer/Alcor, Almaak (gamma Andromeda),

Albireo and Almaak will be low (possibly below the horizon as they set early.

If you can see Almaak then M31 may be visible as a slight bloob - that is all as you will only get the centre. Real question is will M33 be visible ?

• Like 1

The rosette nebula is a fine study with a small rich field scope like yours. Get yourself somewhere nice and dark and take full advantage of the rich field that your scope offers. 

Clear skies

• Like 1

Hi, Craig. Here's another link, this time to a French site. It is in English but you must remember that you are in 'Royaume-Uni'!

http://www.univers-astronomie.fr/generateur-soiree/

Set the parameters as you wish and it will generate an observing schedule for you.

I think it's a cracker.

Clear Skies!

• Like 2

Top target for the winter has to be the Orion Nebula - M42/3

Have you looked at M45, the Pleiades ? Not to be missed.

To find these gems down load Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Thanks for the tips. . . I use stellarium and have looked at m45 in the binoculars. . Did the Orion Nebula a month or so back so will return and look at the others in the area

The rosette nebula is a fine study with a small rich field scope like yours.

Where is this located?

I had a look on stellarium and couldn't see the rosette nebula? Does it have another name? I found the monoceros constellation

It's in the nose of the unicorn (Monoceros).

I use Sky Safari but I'm pretty sure there must be a 'search and centre' facility in Stellarium, too.

• Like 1

Here you go. Stellarium is a bit limited, as one would expect from a free program.

post-10611-0-41422800-1419765473_thumb.j

HTH

• Like 2

The "W" of Cassiopeia is high overhead in the sky at the moment, and is packed with interesting objects, with the double cluster in Perseus nearby.

• Like 1

Cheers. . If it wasnt so cold I'd be out taking it in. . Still warming the bones from an afternoon at the football.

Hi all

So assuming I get a clear night or two over the next week, what would be the best targets for my 130mm skywatcher (900mm flength) and 5, 8, 15 & 25mm EPs?

Cheers

Craig

Here is a list of easy targets, sorted by season and size of scope, with finder notes for each.  Hope there are a few here that will keep you interested.

- Richard

craigfoot.......I've been  observing for over a year now with the Skyliner, still fascinated with the hobby,  but due to the Weather  this last Year and  also living this far North ( the telescope is almost unusable during the Summer months due to the little amount of darkness we receive? )  Ive not had the hours of viewing I expected to have had over this time. But when I do go out I'm always searching overhead?

Overhead, the Zenith is best due to there being less atmosphere to look through, which can improve the final image, its a little tight on the neck when trying to look straight up at Polaris! Yes, Polaris is almost directly above my garden? the two major constellations Ursa Major and Cassiopeia rotate around Polaris, so everything from the Pole Star to the bottom edge of Ursa Major is my choice of area to ( my limited choice ) .  For me Ursa major has the most targets , but looking over a street light, through trees or over a neighbours house are my restrictions to seeing these targets on a nightly basis, so I have to travel away to darker sites to get the best. I recently had my family come look at a Star site, Our shadows were visible on the road,! the illumination was from the Milky way? so I have so really dark skies here, but just need to get to the darker sites to get the best.  

Start overhead and work away from the centre, but if you have reasonable conditions, and can see the sky, then look further afield as the suggestions allow. Dark nights to you.

Astro Imp suggested Orion. If its cloudy and  you have 10 mins to spare check this out,

• Like 1

Draw a line from  M42 the Great Orion Nebula through  Rigel, then extend that line to almost double the distance. Should be in that area (today?)