New member from West Sussex

littleowl13

Hi, I just joined this morning. I live near Midhurst on the South Downs. We are lucky to have really low or no light pollution and the night skies are fantastic. I have no experience in stargazing so I,m starting with my spotting scope 20-60 x60. I mainly use it for birdwatching but I though I would try looking at the night skies as well.

It's a start anyway!

Hi littleowl and welcome to the forum. Doesn't matter what you use as long as you get out there and look upwards at some the great sights that are waiting to be discovered. A good pair of binoculars are also a useful tool in providing you with some great wide views of the cosmos and in particular of the Milkyway. You might find two things that will help you get started on your quest. The first is a book entitled Turn Left at Orion which lists some 100 objects (divided seasonally) that can be view with modest equipment. It contains great maps and written information on each object that will certainly keep you occupied for some time to come. You can take a look here to see the layout and read some of the descriptions. Lastly, you might want to think of downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium, which is a very useful tool in locating objects and identifying those that your find on your travels. It can be configured from your exact viewing location to reproduce an identical sky that you can witness from your scope. There are also lots of other 'toys' in the software to play with when the clouds come in (....and they sometimes do! :grin: ) Of course you can combine the book and the software as a means to practice finding those listed objects so that you can spend more time viewing them for real.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi and welcome to S G L

Just enjoy the night sky, you will be surprised what you will find 

out there, but be warned you will want to see more, this is not a

hobby, it's an obsession that gets better and better.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived