Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Christmas eve Nags head (80ED)

Uranium235

Shock horror! Ive fired up a refractor!

Simple reason is, I needed a bit more FOV for the next couple of projects so back to the 80ED. Downside is, im having to increase the exposure times to 20min as a standard but the reward is the extra contrast that a refractor brings to the table.

The bulk of the night was spent on the tadpoles and flaming star, but that data has yet to be calibrated. Im hoping for more clear sky next week so I can finish it off with some OIII. The HH will be serving as the corner image for the next big project, its probably going to take about 4-5 nights to complete since I can only image Orion once it has passed the meridian (tree in the way).

As usual, ive used my star hammer to knock Alnitak into shape..... down boy!! :D

IC434:

6x1200 (Ha)

80ED (0.85x), Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking & Happy Christmas! :)

Rob

15918667840_b0a26371d1_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8632/15918667840_eb18c40446_o.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice image! Can I borrow your star hammer for my M45?:-) :smiley:

Usually they are pronounced star 'ommer, and are only available in the black country :D (an area of the UK famous for using hammers on everything!)

But, being as its Christmas - the tutorial is here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/223750-star-control-the-u235-method/

Ho ho ho!!!

PS: I have noticed a couple of star bloopers on this image (related to contrast enhancement), but I should be able to mend that once I start strapping a few panes together and getting a better idea of what level the background Ha level should be (or how hard I can push it). Monday looks a good chance for clear sky, so hopfully I can get it to halfway done.

tich, on 26 Dec 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Oooh ta muchly I've added it to my faves.  :grin:

No prob mate, I just need to emphasise the importance of having a new view of the image opened in Ps. That is so you can correctly adjust the star mask and see the results in real time, that avoids the dark halos you can get if you apply it too strongly.

Its ideal for the stuff hanging around at the moment - M45, M42, HH, Jellyfish or anything else that has a massive star lurking in shot.

Thanks Paddy, Ive been on slightly new ground in regard to the software too - it was the first time I had properly used the SSD that I ghosted the OS on to a couple of days earlier. A couple of oddities have occured (like Stellarium mount control not working as it should), but thankfully Artemis and PHD gave me no issues. Still, the boot up time is a lot, lot faster than it used to be - and the applications are a lot snappier which helps in getting up and running just that few minutes quicker.

Archived