Hi from Barcelona

xiuxiuejar

Just a quick hello. Signed up to learn more astronomy, mainly because my 6 year old daughter is crazy about the planets and I'd like to show her what she wants to see. I know absolutely nothing so I need lots of advice. Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Just post a question or two in the relevant section and the replies will duly follow. Astronomy is difficult it's just that there is a lot of it but on the bright side, plenty of things to be interested in. I would recommend downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium which will help you locate many great objects and in particular the location of the planets. Not only can you calibrate Stellarium to match your precise viewing location, but there is a useful facility within this program and allows  you to advance the night sky so that you identify the time and location that a desired planet will come into view - useful for the youngsters if they have school the next day and don't want to be waiting up till 2:00am in the morning! For example, Mars at the moment can be viewed at 45 degrees to the bottom right of the Moon at about 5:20pm onwards, whereas Jupiter doesn't clear the southern horizon till about 12:15am tomorrow morning.

Wishing you clear skies for your journey but feel free to ask any question as the need arises - we're here to help. 

Archived