SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium not slewing to every location asked

Hi all,

When I use Stellarium to slew the scope to a location it does not always go to exactly where I tell it, just slightly off.

When I use the eqmod manual controls I can sometimes get it a bit closer to my intended target but then often it will 'jump' as if it again can not go exactly where I wanted it to.

(Not near the meridian line too!)

I'm sure someone will have a simple answer to this!?

Thanks

I have always had the same problem. You are

not the only one.On my cpc scope, you have

got encoders on both axis's, so I just move

it manually on to the target. That seems to

work. It is not very good, for getting on target,

with any thing. Not a lot of help, I know.

Steve

Stellarium tells the mount to go to a specific RA and Dec coordinate. A few things can cause this to fail, the most likely are:

Poor polar alignment

Poor or no star (goto) alignment

Incorrect position, time or date settings in either the mount or Stellarium.

When you say it jumps do you mean that doesn't respond correctly to the slew commands? Does it work ok on the hand controller?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, I re sync in stellarium to each target to improve the accuracy but sometimes I will have a target and I physically cannot get the scope to slew to it using Eqmod manual controls. I can only describe it like watching a magnet bounce off another magnet when they try and come together at the same poles! I may try and video it to explain better! (When I used to use the hand controller I never had this problem)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Maybe be due to mount limit settings in eqmod. Does eqmod throw up any messages? Could also be something simple like a balance issue or cables snagging.

You didn't say which mount/scope you have?

Louise

Thanks for the reply, good points but I had removed mount limits option and also never got any Eqmod msgs. I too thought it could be cables snagging etc but checked.

Tonight I somehow managed to accidentally wipe the Eqmod sync points which I think has improved things. I tried a few targets across the sky and everything was more accurate and didn't play up when using Eqmod manual controls to tune the sync.

I probably had a few bad syncs saved which caused the problem!?

Hopefully that's it sorted!

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived