Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

GrahamJ

ISS

The ISS will be visible on Wednesday, 24 Dec 17:20:41

Starting in the W (277°)

Ending in the SE (131°) at 17:27:00

Maximum elevation: 44°

Brightness: -1.8

Copied from

http://issdetector.com

• Like 1

Also use Heavens Above, do use the configuration link to 'Change your observing location'  then the iss link to see list of visible passes, the lower the number the brighter, so 5.20pm is -2.3 the 6.58pm -.03 not so bright.   easy to spot if its clear, don't forget to wave.

Bother, missed it. Not looking at my watch closely enough :mad:

The earthshine on the moon is pretty good as well.

Did anyone look behind them at the other one that went through Auriga, just below Capella, heading North?

I did see something fairly bright passing through Draco on its way to the horizon - might well have come through Auriga before I spotted it. 

And yes - the 'old moon in the arms of the new' was a beautiful sight - just slightly too far away from Mars for that to be in the same field of my binoculars, unfortunately.

Missed the first one but managed to catch sight of the 2nd passover. Very faint , made worse by a thin layer of cloud but glad I was able to point it out to my daughter and her friend. They are well and truly excited about Santa's imminent arrival now!!

There's a nice app for iPhones called ISS Spotter that's free.  You tell it your location and it will give you forecasts, and you can get it to automatically set an alarm for passes of certain quality.  It's a great little tool!

I got myself to a good open vantage point close to home for this, very distinct and coupled with the waxing crescent, made for a stimulating binocular session.

• Like 1

Had 2 kids on the decking watching santas pass. Now have two over excited kids who wont go to sleep

Saw the second pass with my two daughters (5 &4), absolutely made their night. Told them he'd be back around soonish so they'd better get to bed. Quickest they have gone to sleep in a long time.

Thanks ISS.

And Merry Christmas.

D.C

• Like 1

I was out looking with the wife when she asked excitedly "is that Santa?". "No" I replied, "it's just rain dear..."  :)

• Like 2

I was out looking with the wife when she asked excitedly "is that Santa?". "No" I replied, "it's just rain dear..."   :)

Your coat's waiting for you.

• Like 1