Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M78 - another try....

Alveprinsen

So, clouds, wind and moon has gotten in the way of me... Not this time though. I managed to squeeze in around 4 hours of imaging. :) (before that I was imaging M82 for 6 hours...)

So, the specs:

ISO 800, 300sec x 49 - so roughly four hours total.

Modified EOS 600D. Chip was running on a pretty much constant temperature of -24 C.

Used a Baader LP filter as well... LP has gotten worse here over the last couple of years. :(

Calibration frames: 10x flats, 10x bias, no darks...

post-27347-0-02672900-1419400606_thumb.j

Going to invest more time in this object. Need more exposures! If only the haze and LP would go away, I could go back to doing 600 sec exposures for those fine dusty details...

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

I'm hardly an astrophotography guy, being a mostly a visual observer in very high light-pollution (Las Vegas).  I want to compliment you on a darn nice image.  You don't need to be disappointed in any fashion.

For those who have never viewed M78, it's an easy "find" in Orion... just find the two stars that provide the light to be reflected by the nebula.  However, visually in LP seeing the nebula behind the stars is difficult at best.  This image is all that more impressive to a guy like me who chases such things.

Not "blowing up your skirt", but Thank You for the nice image.

Clear, Dark Skies

You have a start but be warned, this one eats up time like nothing else in the sky. It's worth it though. Bon courage!

Olly

Yeah... I got lucky with the weather tonight and managed to clock in another 8.5 hours of imaging.

I am now up in a total of 13h 21 minutes.

Tonight I was as usual imaging at ISO 800, with 300sec exposures. Seems the 600sec's gets too washed out. :(

Chip temperature was running on a record low of -34C. I no longer do dark frames.... :D

post-27347-0-44531700-1419573829_thumb.j

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Archived