SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New TAL 100RS unboxing

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi MoA:-). Welcome to Club Tal, tovarich!

Congratulations on your new toy and enjoy..take a little time to get the crayford adjusted just right in terms of your eyepieces etc. The tension should be set so that it will just wind in your heaviest eyepiece when the scope is pointed straight up to the zenith.

You have bought a fine refractor with a lens made by Lzos, one of the finest optical lens makers in the world.

Enjoy, and do share pics and first light with us soon!

Dave

It looks like it will deliver the goods! A big thank you to everyone on SGL that have given me much valued advice,enabling me to make 'the Telescope of my dreams' as I referred to it in a post of mine from December 2012,an actuality! :smiley:

Welcome to the Tal owners club

:)

After following an interesting thread about the best achromats for the price (originally it was Evostar 120 vs 150), the ubiquitous Tal 100RS inevitably came up..and, having owned several in the past and now learning that they have apparently been discontinued, I decided to try and find a new one online. I have always rated these scopes very highly and I believe I was one of the first owners of the crayford equipped version back in 2009-a scope that later found a home with Astro Baby..she still has it to this day and loves it to bits..

It actually proved quite easy to find one, and the source I decided to buy from (as their site said it was in stock) was 2020 Optics in Surrey (just Google 2020 Optics Tal100RS). I've never bought from them before and this was a truly impulse purchase with the order being placed late on Sunday night. (BTW, the site is still showing the scope as being in stock:-)

I wasn't even sure it would arrive but I paid by Paypal which gave me more confidence and I have to say I can't fault 2020's service: I received email confirmation of shipping via FEDEX yesterday on a 24 hour service and it arrived at my work this morning at 9am! I have to say that in Christmas week that is amazing service..

I was asked to add some unboxing snaps so I hope this works via my mobile...

Interestingly, the scope manufacturing/quality approved date is April 2011 which means that this scope has been in stock for three and a half years- not that that is an issue for me..it arrived in great condition with all its parts..2 eps (the 25mm is as good or better than Tele Vue), an excellent diagonal and finder and a very useful crosshair reticule.

Of course, no TAL scope ever arrives without ANY minor issue..with this one there is a tiny split on the plastic finder dewshield but that's it. Am chuffed to bits with it, the lens looks superb and Christmas has come early to this happy camper!

If you too are tempted I suggest you go for it whilst they are still to be found!

Hope you like the pictures and I will post a first light report if we ever get a clear sky again.

Merry Christmas to all!

Dave

just revisiting this thread, mine is serial number 0097.....and i would have bought mine about 2011

Had a really nice session this evening with the Tal. Stariest night this year I reckon. Jupiter looked fetching as ever and even though I had carried out the little 3" and bigger 10", I was having such fun I forgot all about them and spent a good two hours with the Tal around Orion and Canis Major splitting doubles and checking out open clusters along the way.

The serial number on mine is 1368 :smiley:

Congratulations all ye new TAL owners! Lovely looking scopes and obviously a great optical reputation too. I hadn't heard of 2020 Optics before, but they have some nice items and good prices too. If I didn't already have an ED100 and Lyra 102 f11 I'd be buying one too....

FWIW I have only ever seen the G trap star in our club's 12" Dob, and that only once. E star is regularly seen in my 4-inchers, and F only when I had a 120mm.

Ant  :)

Congratulations all ye new TAL owners! Lovely looking scopes and obviously a great optical reputation too. I hadn't heard of 2020 Optics before, but they have some nice items and good prices too. If I didn't already have an ED100 and Lyra 102 f11 I'd be buying one too....

FWIW I have only ever seen the G trap star in our club's 12" Dob, and that only once. E star is regularly seen in my 4-inchers, and F only when I had a 120mm.

Ant  :)

Seems maybe the f star is just out of reach of the tal100, out of interest Ant, have you ever owned a 100rs?

I can see E & F routinely with my 120mm but I've only managed the two of them a couple of times with my 102mm over the years. I seem to get F OK in the 4" but E is tougher being closer to the brighter star C.

Anyone going for that TAL 125 thats on UK AB&S by the way ?

I can see E & F routinely with my 120mm but I've only managed the two of them a couple of times with my 102mm over the years. I seem to get F OK in the 4" but E is tougher being closer to the brighter star C.

Anyone going for that TAL 125 thats on UK AB&S by the way ?

I went for it as soon as i spotted the listing, then changed my mind, i have owned a nice one and it was an anticlimax so to speak, they are lovely scopes but for me the 100 is as good

I saw the 125R but felt it overpriced with a focuser needing attention.

There were too few details in general regarding the scope..e.g.does it come with diagonal and EPs? The original as new would have.

If you think an item is worth a premium price you need to explain to potential buyers why it's a "must seriously consider" item.

Add to that collection only with no offer to meet halfway etc for fuel contribution etc and you are really reducing your potential pool of buyers IMO..

..and lastly, pictures with the ad always help!

Dave

was tempted but then i thought of how often it is going to be used as i really enjoy the Big Vixen with its relatively easy to set up and the smaller one is currently sitting and doing nothing.Have actually been thinking a couple of times to put it up for sale (90mm F14.4) but every time i just cant do it lol.

Same as Dave,i wasnt impressed with the price and the idea that focuser will need to be worked on or maybe even replaced what can add a significant cost depending on brand you go for.And at the end i am also too far away for collection idea so i will pass on it.

All good points folks and my own thoughts were along similar lines. They come up so rarely that I always have a good look at the advert but some common sense has to prevail. Mostly ...... :smiley:

Archived