Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

F15Rules

New TAL 100RS unboxing

Thanks Andy:-). Tellme, as our resident TAL expert do you know exactly what's going on over there?

Also, is the diagonal that comes with the scope a mirror or prism? I'm thinking a mirror?

Have a great break!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

Dave - the one on the scope you sold me is a mirror for sure - its collimatable if you take the back end off of it.

If I remember correctly, new management took over Tal/NPZ at the beginning of '14. In these days of profits etc, I guess they deemed the astro arm(very small in comparison to the rest of their offerings) not being so, so slowly development, staff and products were phased out. A damn shame as the development blokes had some nice stuff on the cards. I was briefly excited about a range of cost friendly, Tal made monocentric type eyepieces. Sadly only a very short pre production run of a 5mm versions were made available, with varying reports of quality, which I think in the long run would have been ironed out with time and experience.

A big problem, again I think, from reading through Russian forums, are costs of raw materials., especially glass, which had been steadily rising as the months and years went  by. THE bulk supplier of optical glass in Russia is LZOS, so their hands were tied, not being glass 'pourers' themselves. So in effect, as the years went by, they raised their prices, sometimes every 6 months. Believe me, the price us folks in the UK and Europe are/were getting our 100rS fracs, are about the same if not a bit cheaper than the factory list price. Shipping from Novosibirsk isn't cheap, if you want to go about importing direct. Also it's landlocked and VERY far away. Twice as far as Moscow !

It's very frustrating, especially as the ruble has plummeted of late . eg: If available, a Tal 2x barlow, factory list price is £15, Klevtsov 8" & 5" Apolar roughly £500 !!!!  A very selfish thought I guess and I truly hope ordinary everyday Russian folk aren't too badly affected by this currency collapse.

Sad that another astro scope & accessory manufacturer option has gone. Will they come back into the astro game? Perhaps, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes, the diagonal is a mirror. Not particularly fancy to look at, but actually optically very good. It's also adjustable(take off the backplate and you'll see 4 sprung screws, to adjust the mirrors tilt). It's also a very low profile design, which is extremely advantageous to those with scopes with limited backfocus.

Clear skies mate.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 4

The only diagonal that is of lower profile(ie: uses up less of available backfocus) is the Takahashi 1.25"/31.75" prism. I have and use one. great quality on medium to slow scopes.

From memory, most available nice quality diagonals in 1.25" format use up about 80mm, the Tal 71mm-ish and the Tak 63mm. normally meaningless, but those of us with scopes with limited backfocus, tres important.

:)

• Like 1

To be honest we astro folks need a nasty corrupt oligarth(sp?) who is an amateur astronomer on the side, to pump vast amounts of cash into an astro manufacturer in the Motherland.

;)

• Like 3

To be honest we astro folks need a nasty corrupt oligarth(sp?) who is an amateur astronomer on the side, to pump vast amounts of cash into an astro manufacturer in the Motherland.

;)

All the above is alleged. Perhaps 'nasty and corrupt' should be replaced with 'hard earned'  ;) . North Korea hacked my account and used those words. Don't want to be put o a hit list. I hang about Russian astro forums too much.

:grin:

• Like 2

I'll always have a soft spot for TAL as an early 100 RT refractor got me active in the hobby again after 10 years without a proper scope. It's a real shame that they are not manufacturing astro stuff any more.

..... A damn shame as the development blokes had some nice stuff on the cards....

I noticed that TAL 6" and 8" refractors were shown on one website, albeit just as "artists impressions". The 8" would have been a monster in every way :shocked:

I wish I'd snapped up one of the TAL 100's that they had on Astroboot recently :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

Andy. Thanks so much for the insight, it's sad but fascinating too. It all makes me so glad I bought the scope that arrived today..a little piece of Astro history.

Thanks also for the diagonal info, I thought as much but didn't want ti remove the backplate just to find out.

And I agree with you, the Tak 1.25" diagonal is a peach, and I love the retaining ring that holds eps so well.

Cheers Andy:-)

Dave

• Like 1

Interesting stuff Andy. I'm doubly determined to hang on to my 100RS and 125R now (and wish I'd put a bid in on that 125 Apolar on ebay recently).

Congrats on your purchase Dave!

Edited by Marki
  • Like 1

always liked the look of the TAL200A....Andy sent me a link once with some pictures...now that would have been the centre piece of any OTA collection. this was the original link: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/125552-tal-8-refractor-pics/?hl=apolar

Glad I have three 100's though...might make a large set of bins out of the 100RS's... 8-)

Just looked again at TALteleoptics website, and it seems you could still get hold of some of the scopes...but also there was a new 2014 X2 barlow created with a t ring thread, to fit a 2" adapter...I got my x2 and x3 barlows from here. One of the only places you can these days!

Edited by Blazar
  • Like 1

Hey Dave well done on the new Tal. Still taking great care of your last one here. :)

Sad to hear they're not being made any more.. Definitely a keeper... Have a great Xmas.

Graham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, new management took over Tal/NPZ at the beginning of '14. In these days of profits etc, I guess they deemed the astro arm(very small in comparison to the rest of their offerings) not being so, so slowly development, staff and products were phased out.

Thanks for the insight Andy, I agree its a real shame it seems astro options are a little more limited now.

Not everyone goes for the Tal 'agricultural' look, but I find there is something apealing about them, they have the feel of a custom scope being unique and a little bit eccentric (much like myself with better looks). Daves comment about the "Tal smell" really struck a cord with me.

Interesting stuff Andy. I'm doubly determined to hang on to my 100RS and 125R now (and wish I'd put a bid in on that 125 Apolar on ebay recently).

I also wish I'd put a bid on it though I was put off by the scary groups of lenses as I wouldnt have a clue how to sort it out if it wasnt figured properly. If a Tal125R 'did' come up :D :D :D im sure it wouldnt have a shortage of takers ;)

All the best,

Ben

Edited by Jim Steele
  • Like 2

Nice to see you back in the Tal camp Dave.

I'm sorely tempted on a Tal 100 though..........

steve

• Like 1

She looks like a good one and incidently has the same manufacturing date as mine (which is a peach).

Lets hope you keep it this time! :rolleyes:

Ben

Only just noticed you are a Ben and not a Jim!.................did you get a 2" diagonal for your 100rs?

• Like 1

Only just noticed you are a Ben and not a Jim!.................did you get a 2" diagonal for your 100rs?

Hi Jules,

Yes I have taken to using an alias, sorry for any confusion. I think it started in the mid 1990's after reading 'Catcher in the Rye', initially for computer game characters then online. At the time 'Jim' sounded much cooler than 'Ben' as a teenager and it just kind of stuck.

Regarding the 2" diagonal. I have one 'on order' from the big man, presently with the elves. I went for a william optics one, which was second hand but in pristine condition, boxed with end caps. I have no idea if it will have sufficient in-focus yet but I can always trade it back and get my money back. Carbon fiber also looks cool. :cool:

Also with the elves is a 42mm Revelation Astro EP (Thanks Bomberbaz). Here is hoping Christmas day has clear skies :icon_santa:.

Ben (aka Jim ;))

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for making this thread an interesting read, especially to AndyH for his invaluable TAL info.

Here are a few pics of the TAL solo and with his big sister Andromeda. Daytime views through the TAL are excellent..dare we hope for clear sky tonight?? Don't forget to look for the ISS bright to the south at c 5.20pm tonight.

Happy Christmas to you all, and here's to better skies in 2015!

Dave

post-4043-0-32040800-1419429773_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-93539800-1419429849_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-07711300-1419429886_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-26138500-1419429920_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-65037100-1419429948_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-32228700-1419429981_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-91605000-1419430038_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Lovely pair Dave :smiley:

I think I'd be tempted to flock the interior of the TAL's dewshield.

Hope you get some viewing with it very soon.

Happy Christmas to you and your family and best wishes for 2015 :smiley:

• Like 2

Dave, looking nice, the D an G dwarf`s the TAL but its still a Siberian beauty of the highest order, looks lovely on the EQ5, simple and just right, a darn good combo, wishing you clear skies (and me) for tonight, when you get first light, point it straight at M42 and see what you can make out in the trapezium, this is a good test of the optics, from your llocation i would expect at least a hint of the e and or F star

Oh, John has reminded me......flock the inside of the draw tube, best mod you can do as its a sort of matt silver inside i also did the nosepiece of the diagonal, and as John says do the dewshield as it is a bit shiny

• Like 2

Two lovely looking scopes, im sure Andromeda's partner (M110 doesn't have the same ring to it, so maybe the Tal should be called Pegasus?) will be a worthy companion.

Jules I've not noticed the flocking on my Tals drawtube being overly silver and it looks quite well baffled. I agree with the dew shield though, very shiny but functional. I would love to machine a retractable one for mine, but would have no idea where to start..

Edited by Jim Steele

Jim/ben, i did have a plan to make a sliding dewshield for the TAL but like a of of things its on hold for the foreseeable future, if you shine a dim white light down the drawtube, it may well look like a kind of Pewter colour, mine was like that 

Thanks guys. John, I think you are right about the flocking, it made a noticeable difference in the D&G..

Cheers

Dave

This thread is making me very jealous, I want one now :sad:

What aperture / focal length is the Andromeda ? It looks a monster scope.

It's a US made D&G 5" F15 refractor which is about 23 years old but has been effectively rebuilt by Moonraker scopes and now sports Moonlite dual speed crayford focuser too:-).

Dave

• Like 1

It's a US made D&G 5" F15 refractor which is about 23 years old but has been effectively rebuilt by Moonraker scopes and now sports Moonlite dual speed crayford focuser too:-).

Dave

Ok thanks :smiley:

It's certainly an impressive piece of kit.

• Like 1