Narrowband

NGC1499: California Nebula (130pds)

Uranium235

Friday night was pretty good, ultra clear but still got buzzed by passing clouds a few times.

Eventually, I managed to complete the Ha Lum and gather 90min of OIII per pane - however, there is hardly any OIII in this at all. Not enough to put it through the cannistra method anyway - so its a fairly normal red version.

Im considering switching back to the 80ED for the Orion project, as 12 panes is just a little too much for me (the 80ED will do it in 6). Got a couple of new things to test, firstly the new SSD in the netbook, and secondly the new powerline networing adaptors. Ive been on wireless for the last 6 months and the transfer rate is awful, a wired connection will sort that out.

NGC1499: California Nebula

12x900 Ha_L, 6x900 Ha_R, 6x900 OIII G&B x2 panes all 2x2 bin

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Resolution: 3.4" p/p

Thanks for looking! :)

Colour version:

15884684579_52ff46d1f4_b.jpg

Ha Lum:

15884950727_3de504181e_b.jpg

lensman57, on 21 Dec 2014 - 4:09 PM, said:

Lovely image as usual but it may just be my laptop screen but I can see a little ringing around the stars. I wonder what causes this .

Regards,

A.G

That might be where the Lum ang RGB layers have slightly different star sizes, I might go back and take a closer look later on.

Just checked, yep its present on some of the medium sized stars, that can be fixed without too much hassle.

adamphillips, on 21 Dec 2014 - 5:01 PM, said:adamphillips, on 21 Dec 2014 - 5:01 PM, said:

very nice, i love to see images of this nebula.

what software do you use for your mosaics?

Cheers, this one was put together using MS ICE, as long as your field is fairly flat it does a good job of stitching stuff together. Even if it isnt flat, you can bend it with registar first before dropping it into ICE.

That might be where the Lum ang RGB layers have slightly different star sizes, I might go back and take a closer look later on.

Just checked, yep its present on some of the medium sized stars, that can be fixed without too much hassle.

I have got these on a couple of occasions wen using PI to stack and register Ha and RGB. I read somewhere that it has something to do with the stars clamping threshold in the image registration module but TBH I don't exactly understand how all these parameters work, just a simple dumb sole I am.

Regards,

A.G

lensman57, on 21 Dec 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

I have got these on a couple of occasions wen using PI to stack and register Ha and RGB. I read somewhere that it has something to do with the stars clamping threshold in the image registration module but TBH I don't exactly understand how all these parameters work, just a simple dumb sole I am.

Regards,

A.G

Im pretty sure I know where mine have stemmed from, its where I used layer masks on the RGB version to keep the stars small, its pretty hard to mask stuff embedded in the nebula so those few medium stars within "got missed" slighly hence the differing star sizes :)  ahhhhh.... always the way, you try to save half an hour by skipping something then it comes back and bites you on the bum.

I spent last night bringing the 80ED out of retirement, its been a year since I last used it, so its probably going to feel like a new scope!  But for then next few targets I have planned, it should prove more economical.

Adamar98, on 22 Dec 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

You're throwing out some fantastic images at an alarming rate. I'm not jealous or in the least bit envious. I am in awe of your imaging routine.

Thanks Adam :)  More clear sky is always welcome but compared to last year, December has actually been quite good in terms of clear sky at the right time (ie: with no moon about). Well, the 80ED is all fired up and ready to roll (clear skies expected xmas day), so the next couple of projects will have a slightly different look.

Im going to approach the Orion mosaic carefully, it just needs three good nights between now and the end of Feb to complete.

The 130 will return, its just gone on its Christmas hols ;)

A target I had previously considered dull proved to be anything but, great work.

Paddy

Cheers :)

You know, I used to think exactly that! I had always struggled with this one, so I never had a version good enough to post.

Its lively in Ha if you have enough signal to bring out some of its texture, and there is a bit of SII in there (if I remember correctly), but as far as OIII goes..... its weak, very weak.

Archived