Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still there! Dragged myself out of bed at 2.30 for an observing session after the moon had set. He's easily visible in the Dob; smaller and fainter but still a bright core. Amazing to think that I 've watching this one since late December

Still there! Dragged myself out of bed at 2.30 for an observing session after the moon had set. He's easily visible in the Dob; smaller and fainter but still a bright core. Amazing to think that I 've watching this one since late December

Hi Kerry, did you have a look for Swan ? I was thinking of an early morning session if it was visible, tried a couple of times with 10" SCT but no luck. Lovejoy is still easy to see.

BTW did you make it to SGLX in the end ? I know Hadyn was waiting for you.

Dave

Dave, I haven't tried SWAN because, from what I have read here and elsewhere, it is a bit faint for my skies.

No, I didn't make SGLX in the end. The clutch on my hired camper van imploded and it took 3 days (and a £1000 for the owner!) to fix. In the end I had to make the decision whether to keep hanging on for it to be fixed, and go later than planned, or give up, and I chose the latter.

I have been in touch with Hadyn since though.

Kerry 

• 3 weeks later...

Out last night (17th).

The sky was milky with either spread-out contrails or very thin cloud. Swept the area with the 15x70s but no (Love)Joy at all,

so got the scope on to it.

Still obvious up there approaching Polaris, though not much on the way of shape or detail, a faint, more or less circular smudge

between two faint stars. I looked again 3 hours later and it had not moved very far laterally either, especially compared to It's romp

through Lepus in Late December and January.

If I can still observe this Comet after the 25th of this month that will be 5 Months that it has been visible in the sky.......I am going to miss 

this one..................Please Mr Lovejoy,........may we have some more....     Magrathea must have finished the next one by now.

Mick

I found it the other night with the 18 inch and it looked like I would be able to see it for a fair bit longer, especially if I knock the scope house down, guess I can always setup elsewhere.

Weather has been my biggest problem, awful May so far.

I found it the other night with the 18 inch and it looked like I would be able to see it for a fair bit longer, especially if I knock the scope house down, guess I can always setup elsewhere.

Weather has been my biggest problem, awful May so far.

Hi Alan,

Sorry for going off topic. Is your 18" a Sumorian? I remember seeing the pics of it - do you have to buy the mirror separately or do they order them in? Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember standing on Sandown beach on Christmas day(night) with my 15x70s and seeing Comet 2014 Q2 Lovejoy pop up out of the Murk

amongst the stars of Columba....

Last night, on the eve of D-Day.....i found it up among the stars of Ursa Majoris with the 20cm, and once the position was ascetained, actually

spotted the dim fuzz with the 15x70s again !!!

It is no longer very detailled, a fuzzy little patch without much in the way of brightening towards it's centre, but is still obvious, still serenely gliding

through the Northern sky, and still a pleasure to find.

There have passed, 7 Calendar months in which this Comet had been within Binocular (albeit reasonably big ones) Visibility, and 5 and a half in

which it has been veiwable from UK skies. There have been more spectacular Comets, but Q2 Will live long in the memory.

That's if it ever fades-away at all.   I could be down the beach with the scope this Christmas (er.......with my lap-top plugged through the GMT perhaps).

Sorry, bit carried-away there

Mick

I had a quick scan with my 15x70's last night but couldn't see it. It was only a brief look though as I couldn't get the scope out and didn't hold out much hope of still being able to see it in the bins. if it's clear tonight I will have another try.

• 1 month later...

Been away on Hols, and last week was cloudy so out I went last night to complete my messiers list for the year...

2015s almost permanent visitor to our skies was up high in Draco, two days short of 7 months observing from the UK and it is still at Mag 10.

Pretty diffuse, with no bright centre obvious in scope but still........

Mick

Hello Mick

It's good to know that after 27+ pages of posts our friend is still there

I had a quick look the other evening but conditions were not ideal (not fully dark etc) and I couldn't find the comet. I'll try again at the next opportunity

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...

Archived