SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eskimo Nebula NGC2392

Daniel-K

Last night i was at out local dark spot in delamere forest. conditions where above average and the sky was allowing me to up the mag to 264x. i used this the my advantage on the Eskimo nebula one of my favorite PN'S . 

i started off with the 20mm 100ES with no filter and instantly i knew it would show some good detail i could clearly see the bright creamy core and blue fuzzy halo. i equipet  the howie galtter parralizer with the 2" Astronomik UHC and inserted the 7mm 1.25" nirvana which gave me 264x

the howie glatter is a 1.25" reducer which is threaded at the bottom to take filters so you dont have to buy two different size filters ;)

what i saw next was the best view of the eskimo i have ever seen.i instantly picked out circular filaments inbetween the blue halo and the creamy core. this was the first time ive seen these. i could have spent at least an hour looking but  no knowing when the cloud would turn up all 3 of us had a look and then moved on :) 

has anyone else observed these circular filaments?

Dan

Congrats Dan! To answer your question it is no unfortunately. You now have what may be the optimum size scope for so many objects....Youll get right into the Ring too and so many more.The galaxies don't stand a chance either! I love the Eskimo neb too, congrats again.

Congrats Dan! To answer your question it is no unfortunately. You now have what may be the optimum size scope for so many objects....Youll get right into the Ring too and so many more.The galaxies don't stand a chance either! I love the Eskimo neb too, congrats again.

thanks gerry i use to have a 16" LB but i had hardly any visual experience so didnt make much of it but now i do think i have a great scope. cant wait to get to my darky sky hotspot :D 

I looked at this on Friday; I didn't see filaments, but I did see like a star with a brighter nebula around it, then a darker ( but not dark ) ring, and then a pale and slightly brighter outer ring. Sort of like the second of these two sketches. http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000493.html 

It's only the 3rd or 4th time I've looked at the Eskimo Nebula, but it was easily the most detail that I could see.  This was at x200 in my 250px, using a Vixen SLV 6mm and Astronomik OIII filter. From a light polluted town centre, too.

Archived