Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

distant learning

Hi,

Before I start with my question I just thought I would say that this website is an excellent resource for anyone keen in astronomy and especially just starting out like myself.

Well here goes, I have recently started in the hobby of astronomy and have bought a telescope and books to get me going. I have been browsing the internet looking for a distant learning course but everything I've found so far seems to be starting next October. Has anyone got any suggestions for courses I could start immediately or early next year at the latest? I'm looking for a good introduction to astronomy with the possibility to doing a degree in the future.

Funds are limited to perhaps around the £1000 mark. Also booking a space onto the sglx gathering in March which I'm looking forward to.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot depends on the level that is wanted at this stage concerning the course/qualification.

For sort of small/short units have a look at Coursera and Openlearn.

The Open Learn set is fairly big but I find that tracking down all the possibilities is not easy.

For a degree by DL I think that the only real option is UCLAN, or OU.

I think UCLAN do short units that count for their degree but the UCLAN ones are now all a year long so that means an October start generally. Check LJMU they work with UCLAN and their units used to be smaller/shorter.

Hi future learn OU have a couple of courses starting Jan 5th and Feb. the one in jan is Orion https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/orion 4 weeks duration

and the one in February is the moons of our solar system https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/moons  8 weeks duration

i can vouch for the moons one i did that earlier this year they are free you can get a certificate at the end which is the only thing  thats paid for and it not mandatory that you purchase the certificate. for a few of the SGL members did this course this year.

Thank you both for the replies.

I have just registered on the Orion course starting on the 6th January. It looks interesting and just the sort of course I'm looking for.

I'll take a look at the openlearn website to see what they have to offer.

Again thanks for the help.

Yes, I reckon the guys and gals on here can tell you anything you need to know and it won't cost you no thousand notes either.

You're right, Dave, it's just that the course hangs it all together in a fashioned format.

I started off on a Coursera 'Introductory Astronomy' (I think; definitely something like that) course but it's so heavy on the maths that I've flunked already! Well, dropped out actually. Can I claim I'm having a gap year at my age!?

Coursera:

Analyzing the Universe.

Big Bang to Dark Energy

MIT:

Optics.

All these are available to do online for free. Education for the masses. I have done these 3 and am doing the Introduction to Astronomy one at the moment and am also on the Orion one starting in Jan. You don't need to actually do the course/homework/exams, just watch the videos and learn yourself if you want, which is what I am doing, although I do some of the exercises. I am way too old to be taking exams and caring about bits of paper, I just want to satisfy my personal curiosity. I have done a few other non-astronomy ones as well, and along with youtube videos and google, the internet is a truly wonderful thing.

Yes, I reckon the guys and gals on here can tell you anything you need to know and it won't cost you no thousand notes either.

But maybe that's because the folks on here have taken astronomy courses?  :grin:

Seriously, though, this is especially true of the replies posted by the professionals on the Science board.

Olly

I've not found one Coastliner, but certain members on here are well worth following due to all the snippets, hints, tips and details that they include in their posts. Looking at your signature DSLR imaging would seem to be the case, check into the Imaging Wide Field section, and also the various primers on imaging.

PS if you find a course, please let me know. (see ya in Orion). :)

PPS, there is also a discussion board linked with these courses.

I did a Masters in Advanced Computer Engineering at the OU and can attest to the academic rigour they apply to the awarding of their degrees. You need to be very committed, enthused and motivated with the material to study this way when you often do not meet anyone at all apart from the study labs/residential.  You and you alone must be your master.  My course was three years and was a hard slog, especially given my personal family circumstances.

To me astronomy is a wonderful hobby and interest.  In my case I would not want to spoil that by getting involved in the maths of it!

Good luck with your choice.

Archived