Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are SW Evostar 120mm and 150mm refractors any good to someone on a budget ?

I don't normally stick my oar in but my Lyra F11 is easier to use than my SW Newt 200P, I swopped them over when I bought the newt but after 3/4 sessions I have started to use the Lyra F11 again.

The newt is more difficult to get on target & more prone to dewing up.

You will not be disappointed with the Lyra F11, I bought mine secondhand, the new price has gone up £65 since then so it's not losing value either.

Cheers

Fondofchips.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have done the right thing by spending the bulk of your initial money on a quality, heavy duty mount. You have avoided the mistake many people make and are now in a good position to start planning for which scope(s) to put on the mount to match your astronomy interests.

My inclination in your position would be to save up a little longer for an ED80 (or wait for a second hand one to pop up). 

I say this for two reasons:

1) The ED80 makes a fine imaging/visual scope and portable all-rounder in its own right.

2) When you realize that a fast Newtonian (or for that matter any other scope) is the way forward after all- the ED80 will make an excellent dual purpose imager/guider.

The 'end game' would be therefore to end up with TWO imaging capable scopes to cater for different targets (e.g. the ED80 for widefield work and say another scope for galaxies/planets etc)

Here's an example of a dual rig- either scope is capable of being the imager or the guide scope.

_DSF0053_1024_zps5eac11ef.jpg

Oo-err what's happened to the TAL 100RS availability ? - Have those pesky Russians stopped make it now ?

Its been pointed out already but one of the big advantages of the TAL is it comes with very solid accessories, the diagonal is quality and the finder is probably one of the best finders ever made.  Yes the manufacturing is a bit industrial but its a solid scope and its resale potential is higher than most.

The Crayford on mine is very smooth and wont slip when holding a 2" diagonal plus an ES 100' EP so its quite strong - I have no idea what imaging gear weighs so I cant comment on that.

I assume from the comments the Russians have stopped supply which, if true, would be a crying shame as its a very lovely scope.  Mine would never be sold and the only way you would get mine would be by prising it out of my dead, cold hands :)

Oo-err what's happened to the TAL 100RS availability ? - Have those pesky Russians stopped make it now ?

Its been pointed out already but one of the big advantages of the TAL is it comes with very solid accessories, the diagonal is quality and the finder is probably one of the best finders ever made.  Yes the manufacturing is a bit industrial but its a solid scope and its resale potential is higher than most.

The Crayford on mine is very smooth and wont slip when holding a 2" diagonal plus an ES 100' EP so its quite strong - I have no idea what imaging gear weighs so I cant comment on that.

I assume from the comments the Russians have stopped supply which, if true, would be a crying shame as its a very lovely scope.  Mine would never be sold and the only way you would get mine would be by prising it out of my dead, cold hands :)

Hey Mel,

Does that mean you wouldn't sell it back to me then???? :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Hi Mel, when I tried to get mine in January last year from Flo (Flo stopped stocking them) they said that it was very unlikely that suppy would get replaced at source once they sell out.

I figured the cost of importing them was too high, maybe this will change with the roubles recent troubles. Needless to say, I bought one next day :D

Hey Mel,

Does that mean you wouldn't sell it back to me then???? :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Not a chance I am afraid - anyway you have too many scopes as it is :)

Hi Mel, when I tried to get mine in January last year from Flo (Flo stopped stocking them) they said that it was very unlikely that suppy would get replaced at source once they sell out.

I figured the cost of importing them was too high, maybe this will change with the roubles recent troubles. Needless to say, I bought one next day :D

Hope you have been happy with it......it was almost certainly a wise choice to bag one - I dont think I ever heard of anyone being disappointed with a TAL 100.

Sounds like we should all go splits on hiring a big lorry, driving to the TAL plant and loading up with as much stuff as we can carry - we might all make some cash with the rouble in the pan.  I totally gave up on ever getting a 125R and in the end decided, even when one became available and was offered to me to reject it.  Probably mad to have done that but the chase was so long and hard I just ran out of interest in the end - besides to have bought the 125R would have meant letting my 100 go and I just couldn't bear to part with it.  Other half said if I bought it something would else would have to go - either one of the other scopes or me :)

Not a chance I am afraid - anyway you have too many scopes as it is :)

Hope you have been happy with it......it was almost certainly a wise choice to bag one - I dont think I ever heard of anyone being disappointed with a TAL 100.

Sounds like we should all go splits on hiring a big lorry, driving to the TAL plant and loading up with as much stuff as we can carry - we might all make some cash with the rouble in the pan.  I totally gave up on ever getting a 125R and in the end decided, even when one became available and was offered to me to reject it.  Probably mad to have done that but the chase was so long and hard I just ran out of interest in the end - besides to have bought the 125R would have meant letting my 100 go and I just couldn't bear to part with it.  Other half said if I bought it something would else would have to go - either one of the other scopes or me :)

Mel, i hate to say it as you will remember i was seeking a 125r, while you were away from here i got one, but in truth it was an anti climax and i did not keep it long, nothing wrong with it but the 100rs could match it in all but weight

Thanks Mel, I've only had her out a handful of times on account of the really poor weather conditions over the last year (twice since August), but the times when the sky has been clear, and I've had time, she hasn't disappointed.

Jupiter has been my favorite view so far Saturn was next, but just hampered by the light summer skies at the time. My only *small* gripe would be that the finder is difficult to use near the zenith but really I'm picking hairs it's still an excellent finder.

Ben

A tip for you - if the CA gets bad (mine shows very little CA) you can always use a light yellow filter which will clip the CA back a bit without hampering the view too much.  A light yellow works well on both Jupiter and Saturn anyway as it will often up the contrast a bit.

A tip for you - if the CA gets bad (mine shows very little CA) you can always use a light yellow filter which will clip the CA back a bit without hampering the view too much. A light yellow works well on both Jupiter and Saturn anyway as it will often up the contrast a bit.

Thanks Mel, to be honest the ca hasn't really bothered me. It's there, slight blue on the limb of the moon and on bright stars like vega but it's not overly obtrusive.

Tal has, in effect, ceased to be for the time being. Early this year('14), astro optic production was slowed, then stopped. Employees were either let go or moved to other areas in the http://www.npzoptics.com/ factory. It may be some time before they restart production. I have my doubts if they ever will, to be honest. They have been selling off remaining old stock for the last half year or so. 

Andy.

Tal has, in effect, ceased to be for the time being. Early this year('14), astro optic production was slowed, then stopped. Employees were either let go or moved to other areas in the http://www.npzoptics.com/ factory. It may be some time before they restart production. I have my doubts if they ever will, to be honest. They have been selling off remaining old stock for the last half year or so. 

Andy.

What a great pity, that is sad news indeed.

Andy will know as I'm never known anyone with his in depth knowledge of all things Tal..

Sad indeed. If they only had had some concept of marketing as well as customer engagement I really think Tal could have been another Vixen in terms of market share. For example they made wonderful diagonals but for several years you just couldn't find them.

I guess the 100RS could become a collector's item over time.

Dave

You would think that with the Rouble suffering they would big up what they can sell to get some foreign currency in.  Ok it might be small beer to oil and gas revenues but every little helps.  I daresay Skywatchers tax bill is nice to have for the Chinese government.

For the OP - I guess you have your answer - try and pick up a TAL 100 which will be all you could wish for in a refractor for the money you want to spend PLUS if you ever want to offload it you know its going to sell and you might lose almost nothing in the sale - my bet is once exposed to a TAL 100 you wont ever want to sell it but at least if you do you know its going to go like flash.

There is a Tal 100RS plus Vixen Porta mount plus several eyepieces advertised for £250 in the latest AN mag.   :smiley:

That is a bargain...

Gas_mantle if you want to check out one of the f11 scopes I'm only up the road near ilkley... DM me and we can sort something out so you can guage how your it sits on your mount..

I know I'm insane but I've just ordered a Tal 100RS, new, online.This will be my 7th I think (including 2 100r early versions). I've had an email saying it's been shipped! If it turns up ok and in one piece, I'll share the details of the supplier in case anyone is interested (I don't know if they have more in stock, but it's a UK supplier whom I'm not dealt with before). Price was £244 including shipping.

I am justifyng this purchase on the basis that for shorter peeks (right now I'd settle for ANY peeks, short or long!), it will be easier to get the 100RS out instead of the D&G 5" (Andromeda)...I'm also curious to see how the 100RS stands up to my Towa 80mm 339 F15 on double stars.

Watch this space :grin:  :grin:

Archived