SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Are SW Evostar 120mm and 150mm refractors any good to someone on a budget ?

I know I'm insane but I've just ordered a Tal 100RS, new, online.This will be my 7th I think (including 2 100r early versions). I've had an email saying it's been shipped! If it turns up ok and in one piece, I'll share the details of the supplier in case anyone is interested (I don't know if they have more in stock, but it's a UK supplier whom I'm not dealt with before). Price was £244 including shipping.:

Ha ha, you just cant keep a good scope down.. :D :D

If its the supplier I think it is (the one I got mine from), it arrived within a couple of days by courier shipped direct from OVL. Mine had a couple of marks on the tube but nothing that concearned me too much - hope you get a good un.

Ben

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tal has, in effect, ceased to be for the time being. Early this year('14), astro optic production was slowed, then stopped. Employees were either let go or moved to other areas in the http://www.npzoptics.com/ factory. It may be some time before they restart production. I have my doubts if they ever will, to be honest. They have been selling off remaining old stock for the last half year or so. 

Andy.

That really is sad news sort of expected in a way

I know I'm insane but I've just ordered a Tal 100RS, new, online.This will be my 7th I think (including 2 100r early versions). I've had an email saying it's been shipped! If it turns up ok and in one piece, I'll share the details of the supplier in case anyone is interested (I don't know if they have more in stock, but it's a UK supplier whom I'm not dealt with before). Price was £244 including shipping.

I am justifyng this purchase on the basis that for shorter peeks (right now I'd settle for ANY peeks, short or long!), it will be easier to get the 100RS out instead of the D&G 5" (Andromeda)...I'm also curious to see how the 100RS stands up to my Towa 80mm 339 F15 on double stars.

Watch this space :grin:  :grin:

Dave, you are a total nutter.....................but it makes perfect sense, unboxing photo`s when it arrives please  :grin:

When you sell it F15 ( you know you will :) ) let me know :)

Mel, no, I'm going to keep this one for ever and ever and ever.... :rolleyes:

That really is sad news sort of expected in a way

Dave, you are a total nutter.....................but it makes perfect sense, unboxing photo`s when it arrives please  :grin:

Jules, I cannot deny it. I just found myself thinking, if TAL really have/are at the end of their availability, and I can find one new, I might kick myself in the future if I didn't have one of my favourite ever scopes! Also, I can really blame you for this (among others) due to your steadfast unwillingness to say anything other than good things about the TALs..and I do need another decent diagonal :grin:  :grin:

Just for interest, I tried several websites and got to the point of checkout without being told there was no stock...I didn't try to go all the way except for the one I've actually ordered from. 

I've had a shipping consignment confirmation (FEDEX) and they say they "normally" deliver within 24 working hours, but of course it's not "normal" being a couple of days before Christmas..I've arranged for it to go to my work place but as I'm not in again after tomorrow until the 2nd January if it doesn't arrive tomorrow I won't get to unbox it til at least 2nd Jan  :huh: ..

So I will make a Christmas wish for fast delivery... :p 

Dave 

Just found this thread, sorry for being late :grin:

I concur with what others have said re the virtues of the Tals, lovely scopes for the money, Ive messed about with them, never owned one mind.... yes yes I know shame on me :embarrassed:

However :grin: as our cousins across the pond would say "Bang for buck" has got to be the Evostar 150 F8 IMHO.

Yep OK the Tal optically is better from CA point of view but the 150s aren't bad as Dave F15 has said and the extra 2" of aperture brings so much within your reach, plus your NEQ6 will handle it with ease. Slap a better focuser on it if you want to pimp it up and the 150 F8 is a pretty good all rounder.

Ive had one for a few years and I still give it airings when I get the chance and it just keeps on surprising me. E.g. visually this year with the Veil (unfiltered).

OK lunar they give a bit of colour but I have seen a lot worse in more expensive scopes, Ive taken quite a few pics through mine with various cameras on lunar and it works nicely.

Planetary it gives respectable views, again with a bit of colour but not intrusive, and I have known folks take respectable planetary images with these scopes  

I like my 150 F8 and intend to keep it and am in the process of chopping a few inches off the tube so I can use binoviewers to enhance the observing experience. 

150 F8s can be got at reasonable prices off UKABS or even on line auction sites (that's where I got mine) and are very good value for money.

Oh and Dave (F15) congrats on the Tal. Hey I know what would be nice, stick it on the side of the 6" ala Unitron :grin:  :grin:

Many thanks to everyone who offered their advice :smiley:

To be honest I'm still undecided but the replies have given me plenty to think about, in particular the Tal100rs which I had even considered till people here recommended one.

Happy Christmas all

Peter.

To be honest I'm still undecided but the replies have given me plenty to think about, in particular the Tal100rs which I had even considered till people here recommended one.

Happy Christmas all

Peter.

Judging by what Dave has posted, and Andy, i would hazard  guess that the last of the TAL`s may already have sold

I've had a shipping consignment confirmation (FEDEX) and they say they "normally" deliver within 24 working hours, but of course it's not "normal" being a couple of days before Christmas..I've arranged for it to go to my work place but as I'm not in again after tomorrow until the 2nd January if it doesn't arrive tomorrow I won't get to unbox it til at least 2nd Jan  :huh: ..

So I will make a Christmas wish for fast delivery... :p

Dave 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Dave, As I said earlier if you bought it from the same place as me it shipped direct from OVL and was with me next day :D

In the mean time heres some pictures of my unboxing just to wet your appetite... (I know Im cruel!)

post-29459-0-11706400-1419330453_thumb.jpost-29459-0-81923400-1419330471_thumb.jpost-29459-0-30591500-1419330485_thumb.jpost-29459-0-37246200-1419330556_thumb.j

My new TAL has arrived this morning! :eek:  :grin:

Have just started an unboxing thread on this forum, as requested :p  :p :p ..did it via my mobile to allow me to upload pictures, so hope it's worked ok. 

The scope looks the business, in perfect order on arrival and has that TAL smell...

Merry Christmas!

Dave

Happy Christmas all

Peter.

Happy Christmas Peter, and sorry this turned into a bit of a Tal fanclub thread.. Honestly though they are great scopes for the money. I hope you find what your looking for.

Ben

What puts all this in context is that if people 40 years ago were discussing the relative merits of 5 and 6 inch refractors before buying the rest of us would be thinking flash, rich g*!ts.

Too true. When I started out a decent eq mounted 4" achro cost nearly £1K. When I bought my TAL 100RT back in 1999 for £249 delivered (from Siberia) I thought I was taking a big risk. There were no reviews about and no interweb either. Fortunately I was wrong about the risk :smiley:

The fact that you can get a decent 5" or 6" achro for a few hundred quid today is remarkable really.

What puts all this in context is that if people 40 years ago were discussing the relative merits of 5 and 6 inch refractors before buying the rest of us would be thinking flash, rich g*!ts.

back in the 70s i bought a Charles Frank 4" catadioptric telescope for around £280, 5 times what I earned at the time! traded in in for around £180 10 years later for a Sky_watcher 6" refractor. had the 6" refractor since the mid 80s and still use it today! think it cost me around £400 + around £180 for a hq5 mount! over the years have been adding to it, motor drives etc. I have never once thought of selling it as it does everything I want!  have a 3 inch Tal that i also got rather cheep when the telescope shop shut down in Edinburgh, think getting a good scope like the Tal will be a keeper and one you will use often! also takes a bit of bumping and knocks really well! my 30 year old one proves that as i have never had to do any maintenance to it!

Archived