SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42_M35_MEL 20 at 105mm

A clear low humidity night and guess what........yep football floodlights on.  :mad:

Anyway ignored them and had a go at a few targets.

All images taken with Canon 60Da Astronomik CLS clip, Sigma 105mm macro f4.5 iso 1600.

Bare minimum processing for now.

Thanks for looking.

M42 area 8x300sec subs.

m42embed.jpg

M35 area 10x300sec subs

m35embed.jpg

MEL 20  6x300sec subs

mel20embed.jpg

You made the right decision to ignore the flood lights. These are three excellent images and really thanks to the field of view. I find it absolutely fascinating to see these familiar objects in context with each other. It's a bit like taking the tube in London - you know all the sights close up, but have no idea about how everything is connected, until you walk or take the bus and can enjoy the space between things too. Lovely! And how could any astronomer possibly pass on the rare chance yesterday's dark and clear sky offered.

I hope the football club closes for the Christmas period soon!

Thanks Gav.

It was'nt a football match, just a social gathering with lots of screaming kids. :mad:

Orion for me is a very short window and it's in the South Coast light dome.

Got the few subs and saw cloud approaching so wacked off a few short subs for the core.

When I have a bit more time will try the short subs in processing for the core of M42.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Re using a macro lens.

No particular advantage using one but the good ones tend to produce a flatter field.

This Sigma 105mm is not perfect but gives me the FOV I'm looking for.

The outer stars are not perfect but for internet sized images they are not to bad.

Each image is normally cropped to get rid of any stacking artifacts and this removes the worst outer stars.

Pixel peeping will reveal the mishaped stars out towards the edge, there is no free lunch with camera lenses. :grin:

I would love a nice dark sky to really bringout the starfields but will have to make do with what I have.

Every one of the M35 frames had at least one aircraft trail in it, Friday nights are busy in the sky here.

Here is one frame with two in it, both smack thru the middle, DSS does a good job of correcting this. :cool:

planetrails.jpg

Archived