Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

PhotoGav

Which Is Your Favourite Constellation?!

Orion for me too, it was the first I learned to pick out as a kid and I still find it just as exciting now when it comes back into view!

I have small scopes and lots of light pollution so its orion and cassieopia for me

I need 3, Orion always great naked eye, Cassiopeia for leading me into M31 naked eye, and Taurus for M45 again naked eye.

I get as much pleasure from just looking up at familiar friends as I do from using all the kit. + they are a great indicator for sky conditions.

• Like 2

I would have to say Orion in winter and Cygnus in summer, especially as it's my namesake (In Latin).

Tom and I hope to have something to please Orion lovers in the not too distant future... 

:evil: lly

• Like 1

A vote for Scorpius or Virgo please :) Dob-tastic ;)

Regards

Dannae

• Like 1

Well, I think we are nearly ready to reveal our Christmas Number One!

I just wish I could see our familiar friends - the evil clouds have returned with a vengeance and look set to be here for the next while. Seriously considering moving to Olly's garden in my campervan for a few weeks. He's been bragging about collecting 18 hours data in a single night... That's worth emigrating for!

Happy Winter Solstice everyone, enjoy The Longest Night.

Another vote for Orion here, love seeing him striding out of the horizon as late Autumn goes through into Winter, knowing all the imaging delights are returning.

Also like Cassiopiea, lots of great things of its own, plus it points to others such as M31 :)

• Like 1

Cassiopeia for me too, mainly because its always there.

I was just about to say that.

Cassiopeia because there is a feast of targets that I can enjoy with my binoculars as much as my scopes.

• Like 1

First choice Ursa Major. It's brimming with galaxies.  I also choose this for a personal reason - as kids playing on the street forty years ago we always called it the "question mark".  My fascination with what the question mark actually is got me involved in astronomy from then on.  I also always think of my late wife Yvonne when I look at Dubhe. 

After that Orion, Cygnus and Virgo.

• Like 2

Orion and Sagittarius. Orion in the winter is amazing and am looking forward to some dark sky time once the weather plays ball. 

​I have an as yet untested dark sky site with a slight negative southern horizon that I intend to use for Sagittarius. I would love to get the Lagoon nebula through the dob and also M7 again, lovely little cluster.

Orion with naked eye and sag with my scope

I'm with Moonshane on this one.

With a pair of Binos or the Naked eye Orion is an absolute knockout in the winter,,,,,,, and its got

plenty to point a scope at too............

But Sagittarius must Take it for me with a scope, you could spend a life-time looking around all the

objects in there,  Globulars, Clusters, Emmision, Replection and Planetary Nebulae - Starclouds

and the bright starfields and dark dust-lanes covering the enormous THING in the centre of our Galaxy.

and the Bonus........M20 !       Any constellation that has M20 sitting in it wins by default.

That's it then, I declare Sagittarius the winner on the Buckfast / Adlestones countback system.

Marvelous....       

Merry Christmas.........  Mick 

• Like 4

Goodness me! Calmeth downeth, Mick.

We've got it! No need for Buckfast thingmieboabs ...

As much as I'd like to be drawn by other great suggestions, it's simply Orion for me: emotive, beautiful and enigmatic.

• Like 1

What's your favourite constellation?

The one that is visible !

Dont care which, beggars cant be chosers in this climate !

• Like 6

In the summer probably Cygnus. Love the deep sky objects and the Milky Way running through it.  

Definitely Orion in the winter.

• Like 1

Orion and Cygnus are my favourites and looking at this thread a few other members as well?

Peter

• Like 1

I really like Scorpio but don't get to see it often enough.

Cassiopeia is probably the most useful sky marker where I live as it lets me easily locate M31 and M33, if I can see the latter unaided then I know it's gonna be a good night :D

Pleiades for being the pretty little jewel that it is.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Orion for me. It was the first constellation I learned and every time I check in on M42 (which is quite often this time of year) it feels a bit like going home. Sagittarius is very impressive as well. I only saw it for the first time this year after making a special effort.