Narrowband

There go my dark skies............

Earl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread really is very close to being closed and locked, so people lets drop any hints of criminal damage, while we all know most of these comments are slightly in jest, we wont tolerate it, and it would be a shame to lock this when Earl is just looking for a proper solution, so lets try to help the man out

Earl, you need to speak with the neighbours later today, take a christmas card round introduce yourself, and politely ask if the light can be turned of when its clear skies

Fingers crossed for 'the chat' Earl, hope it goes well !

Stay calm, but assertive and be reasonable ... they probably haven't got a clue that it's affecting you.

They're first reaction will probably be defensive, if you can talk your way passed that then you're in with a chance 

Good luck

Earl I am sorry to read this thread after the tough time you have had over the past 12 months. Having visited you the other week and viewed your 2 fantastic observatory setups in your garden I can understand you being mortified at this security light.

Hopefully, the chat to the neighbours will resolve the problems especially when they see your setup.

Take care my friend you don't need this hassle.

That is really bad Earl, looking at the photo, is that what appears to be a Leyland boundary hedge ? if it is yours, you could discus with your neighbour that you are going to let it grow some more, to provide shade, or may be, when he understands the problem, he might just consider dropping the light down a few feet or try and shade the front of it. If he is a reasonable person he should try to help, it is Christmas, peace and all that. Hope you have some success :)

Interviews with burglars for their thoughts on the effectiveness of (always on) security lights would make an interesting documentary. I'd be surprised if they are regarded as a hindrance by the criminal fraternity.

Sorry to hear about the light issue. You might point out how expensive it is to leave it on during a clear night whilst they have you next door outside for free keeping an eye out for them :)

Regards

Dannae

Did you manage to have a word Earl? I'm curious as to the resolution given the nature of the problem. 

Also as a side note. The "topic under close watch" banner drew my attention to this thread, I've not seen one on here before. Most of the posts here seem fairly sensible apart from the ones Earl pointed out, have they been edited out and such? 

Our paths have not crossed yet, ships in the night im affraid, the were in yesterday evening but were entertaining so not an ideal time really :)

The light has not been on since either.... go figure.

Our paths have not crossed yet, ships in the night im affraid, the were in yesterday evening but were entertaining so not an ideal time really :)

The light has not been on since either.... go figure.

Perhaps they are on SGL too?!

Good news that it hasn't been on, more for your son though as, don't know about you, but all I've had the last few nights is cloud..... :-(

Did you manage to have a word Earl? I'm curious as to the resolution given the nature of the problem. 

Also as a side note. The "topic under close watch" banner drew my attention to this thread, I've not seen one on here before. Most of the posts here seem fairly sensible apart from the ones Earl pointed out, have they been edited out and such?

Yes, the mods do a good job of hiding any post that is over the line. Otherwise they would simply lock the thread and that would be that.

Best of luck Earl.

I had a similar issue with my new neighbours when they moved in, they put in a yard light and had it on all the time. I knocked on with a bottle of wine the following day and they were great about it. They've even started showing some interest themselves - this Christmas eve they will be in their back yard at 17.20 to show their four year old Santa riding across the sky ... at 17,200 mph! I hope you have similar luck Earl. 

I had a similar issue with my new neighbours when they moved in, they put in a yard light and had it on all the time. I knocked on with a bottle of wine the following day and they were great about it. They've even started showing some interest themselves - this Christmas eve they will be in their back yard at 17.20 to show their four year old Santa riding across the sky ... at 17,200 mph! I hope you have similar luck Earl. 

I don't mean they have a four-year-old-Santa, btw. 

Being relatively new to this hobby I am convinced that your neighbours will not have given it a second thought when putting the light up that it might affect you in any way or form. To everyone here this is a nuisance, a disturbance, light pollution, and an annoyance however to anybody else it is just a light.

I am sure that if approached in a calm and collected manor (as I am sure that you will) explaining the issue they will just move the light. Offering them a view through your scope is a great idea, it will make them aware of the issue (as I am sure they will not have a clue) and it will also let you show them just how important that this hobby is to you. Offer to help move the light to a different location with them yadda yadda.

I am sure that this can be solved amicably as long as the subject is approached amicably.

I have to say, i wish i had dark skies to lose once in a while, my move to this house has been good for my relationship, but has all but destroyed my hobby, limiting me to Purely Luna and a little planetary work, just to the back of my house is Black dyke mill, this has a huge floodlight mounted on a low wall, this shines right onto my only observing area, but i do nothing as there is another 3 on this building not working and i dont want to draw attention to the faulty ones, if they were all fixed it would be like daytime, still looking for a new house

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a bit late jumping in here, but I had a similar issue with a light placed high up on a neighbour's wall. When I spoke to him about it (very politely - that's important) he was mortified that he'd caused a problem and immediately (and I do mean that) he moved the thing further down the wall and fixed it so that I wouldn't activate it when I was out in my back garden.

I started with something like "I'm sorry to bring this up, but did you realise that..."

Softly, softly and all that. You might even make a friend out of it!

Best wishes.

Patrick

Archived