Narrowband

I think someone is tellin porky pies

spaceboy

Have to disagree im afraid. I think its one thing if people are duped or ripped off by elaborate scams but this isnt the case with the ad. The ad is a simple case of someone trying to see something for more than its worth something im sure we all do from time to time just maybe not with a favorite hobbies. In this day and age of internet access and online shopping there is simply no excuse for being ripped off with simple high pricing. If you do then its down to either laziness or sheer stupidity and the fault lies purely with the buyer. After all if buyers did the research and therefore bypassed such ads then people wouldnt bother trying to rip people off with high prices.I do feel that with internet shopping that there is a trend for shoppers expect everything to just be presented in front of them with little or no research required.  Having said that it seems to me that fleabay is a world of crazies, the amount of times i see second hand auction kit selling for more than brand new buy it now prices and other retailer prices is utterly mind boggling. 

I'd agree with this 100%. It would talk any prospective buyer about 30 seconds to get the price of the kit off a Google search. If they can't be bothered to do that then:

1. They have more money than sense. If that's the case then please forward them to me. I have some magic beans here that are going cheap. :grin:
  2. They are too stupid to be let loose on the world.
  3. They are happy to pay over the odds. In that case, then fair play to the seller. Fill your boots, mate.

All of this might be moot anyway as we are assuming that there is a mug out there that will actually buy the kit.

There's also a bit of this that applies here :smiley:

duty_calls.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally wouldn't try and sell something second hand for more than it cost new, neither would I claim that something cost 1000 pound more than it did, that doesn't sit right with me. I'm starting to realise I'm possibly in the minority in my way of thinking so I've learnt that at least.

Zakalwe - I've seen plenty of threads on SGL where you have passionately argued your point, so surely that cartoon applies to you as well? ;)

Zakalwe - I've seen plenty of threads on SGL where you have passionately argued your point, so surely that cartoon applies to you as well? ;)

Of course...that's why it's there! :grin: :grin:

Debate is what makes a forum live. Arguing over a total strangers actions on the web knocks working!

I believe that anyone that owns an asset has the right to ask what they want for it when selling it. Lower prices attract more potential purchasers and vice versa. I also believe people are responsible for their actions and laziness on both sides. There is already enough nanny state as far as I am concerned.

I believe that anyone that owns an asset has the right to ask what they want for it when selling it. Lower prices attract more potential purchasers and vice versa. I also believe people are responsible for their actions and laziness on both sides. There is already enough nanny state as far as I am concerned.

Where do you stand with blatant lying on Ebay adverts? 

Are you seriously suggesting that adverts relating to items for sale rarely reflect lies? I believe in natural selection and surely lies are not hard to disprove in cases like this? My earlier reply covers this point. Laziness of buyers and lies of sellers is easy to overcome. If you can find something for sale on ebay you have the skills to find out if it is value for money in seconds. If you don't then you are a muppet.

I am not supporting lies, but have better things to spend my time worrying about when lazy people don't bother checking.

Are you seriously suggesting that adverts relating to items for sale rarely reflect lies? 

I did think the astronomical community was an honest bunch on the whole, but I accept now I'm perhaps wrong :( My last big purchase of an NEQ6 which turned up in a right state and needed a lot of work seems to back you up on this.

My earlier reply covers this point. Laziness of buyers and lies of sellers is easy to overcome. If you can find something for sale on ebay you have the skills to find out if it is value for money in seconds. If you don't then you are a muppet.

I am not supporting lies, but have better things to spend my time worrying about when lazy people don't bother checking.

I wasn't suggesting you supported lies and I'm sure you have better things to be worrying about, my apologies to all I have offended with this moral debate :)

oh yeah, the chap got back to me and he said his girlfriend was making him sell it so he put it up for a silly price because he knew no one would buy it. Also said that he is open to offers in it.

Nothing wrong with good values and personally I share them. I just don't expect others to do so. I am not offended in the slightest :0)

Thankfully the vast majority of astronomers are the same as us but there is always going to be the odd rotten apple in any barrel.

oh yeah, the chap got back to me and he said his girlfriend was making him sell it so he put it up for a silly price because he knew no one would buy it. Also said that he is open to offers in it.

I have heard this excuse made before. If that was truly the case then why say the original value of the setup is £1600 :police:

I have heard this excuse made before. If that was truly the case then why say the original value of the setup is £1600 :police:

Yeah, he didn't have an answer for that one I must admit. He sent me two replies close together and they gave slightly different reasons? I'll copy and paste the replies he gave as he did say to pass them onto the thread :) 

To be fair to him I half expected him to hurl abuse at me for getting involved! He seemed pleasent to speak to, just seemed a bit embarrassed I think so I did end up appologising to him for sticking my nose in. I have a very strong moral compass which takes over some times :D

Here are his replies as he did say to pass it on:

1)

It is open for offer that's just what I would like to get for it as it's been a massive part of my life and I don't really want to sell 

Not here to rip people off. 

If they want it but not at that price then they can send me a massage and ask can't they 

2)

My mrs wants me to sell it and I don't want to. I put it with a ridiculous price as I know full well no one will buy it for that. 

But if some did offer a good price then I would. 

I am really hoping to keep it lol

How to make a women happy. 

Oh well I tried to sell it but I guess I'll just have to keep it. 

Pass this on to stargazer forum as I can't remember my log ins 

Interesting debate.

I tend to always do some research on an item , particularly if it's what I'd consider a big purchase . In this day and age it takes a few minutes to check prices of goods new or used .

I think if it's a used item and a private sale , then buyer beware . It's up to you to decide if it's worth the asking price . Not for the seller to justify it .

I personally wouldn't try and sell something second hand for more than it cost new, neither would I claim that something cost 1000 pound more than it did, that doesn't sit right with me. I'm starting to realise I'm possibly in the minority in my way of thinking so I've learnt that at least.

I think you're in the majority actually. I think most people are honest. You just don't tell everyone every time you DON'T get ripped off.

Archived