Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Google Sky Maps - what sensors are needed?

symbiosis

Hi all

Looking at buying an Android tablet and want to be able to use it with Google Sky Maps and other similar apps. Does anyone know what sensors are needed for these apps to work (ie Gravity sensor, accelerometer, magnometer etc) as I cant seem to find a definitive answer and don't want to buy something that wont work. I'm also a little confused with the different names as well - for instance, a tablet I have seen mentions it has a Gravity sensor but is this the same as an accelerometer?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, that's the problem - non of them seem to know what tablets will run it or not. I have several android phones, most DO but I have one that does not

There must be certain sensors that the app uses and if I knew what they were then I could check the tablet spec for the ones needed.........

Thanks - its somewhat confusing. The phone I know works well with sky maps has an accelerometer, Gyroscope and a magnetic sensor (among others) and it could be any or all of those but finding a tablet that has them all is nigh on impossible (at least an affordable one) 

Google sky runs on my Galaxy Tab2 that has GPS, a compass and accelerometer.

I recently bought a cheap Sero 8 from ASDA. That doesn't have GPS a compass or an accelerometer (but what do you expect for £62 :p ) and the Android Play store says the tablet is incompatible with the app.

Thanks that's interesting. The tablet I was looking it says it has a G-Sensor but not sure if that is enough to run the app

Make sure it have a Google license (access to Google Play Store ) i brought a cheap Overclockers tablet it didn't and had to go back, ended up with a Sony S1, plays everything.....

Actually its something I find very frustrating with the Google app store generally - no info about what is required to run a particular app. It often states what version of android is needed but a full sensors list should be included on every app page too I think

Well google sky map is a free app, if a tablet runs that it should run the other paid sky apps,  having said that my Tegra Note has the sensors but is so full of magnets it gets confused as to where north is !!!   I can stick it to the fridge tho........ one day I will strip it out.

Perhaps ask if someone is using the tablet you are thinking about ?

Interestingly I downloaded an app which shows what sensors you have have installed. 

On my phone that does run it I have installed (among others): Accelerometer, Gyroscope, orientation sensor

On the phone that does not run it (sucessfuly anyway): Accelerometer only

It does run however it shows me completly the wrong hempishphere which would suggest that it does not know where it is (despite GPS). Any compass apps

do not run and just show a static picture of the compass face

I can only conclude that a gyroscope and/or orientation sensor are needed too for Sky Maps

• 8 months later...

Archived