Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using trigger-grip ball-head

bambuko

OK guys...

the reply I got from Ravelli was:

...Unfortunately we do not sell quick release plates or any spare parts in Europe...

They were happy to deliver to USA address...

However, got more luck with:

Konig Head Plate for Kn-Tripod 60

arrived three days later for a princely sum of £3.81 (delivery included) and is exactly the same as Ravelli.

Problem solved - thank you! :grin:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that these trigger-grips are most economically available as either the Ravelli or Amazon basics combo with a tripod, I thought an indication of their height might be useful; for reference, I'm 1.78m (5' 10") in my bare feet:

basicmount.png

The binocs weigh approx 2.5kg; I'm comfortable up to about 60* elevation. (Beyond that, you need #1 to be an accomplished limbo-dancer and/or #2 the contact details of a good physio).

I have used my clone of the Ravelli/trigger grip sitting on a low stool. One of the useful things with this type of tripod design is that you can set the legs at different angles that lock into position. With the front leg stretched out at a lower angle than the back two and the whole plot levelled at  a suitable height I find I can sit "in" the tripod for want of a better description. In this manner its possible to use binos at higher elevations. The limit is not so much set by the tripod but by my neck! So sitting is much better than standing but the neck will only stand it for so long! No problem at all of course at lower elevations. Sounds like a bit of a contortion but its quite easy.

I found this heading on ebay.......

JOYSTICK QUICK RELEASE BALL HEAD, Used!

Its on a 7 day auction.......The system specifics read...... THIS IS A FULLY WORKING AND COMPLETE JOYSTICK BALL HEAD FOR THE TOP OF A TRIPOD THAT WILL GIVE THE USER FULL CONTROL OF THE CAMERA POSITION.  NO RESERVE GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BIDDING...... ( with a starting price of £27.oo.)

Why is no-one bidding, and a few days later, in fact today the 7th day, still no-one bidding! should I make a bid, or not?

Well I'm off to work today, and wont be home in time to see the auction end, should I take a chance......the auction has some images, looks like a Manfrotto 222,  the device has been imaged upside down for some reason, and I'm not sure it even has a box?

I was able to get home for lunch and  decided to make a bid with a maximum limit at lunch time, then back to work, and boy what a hectic afternoon. There was a major road traffic accident, which caused chaos with the roads here. Definitely a good idea to make that bid, just in-case,  here's hoping.

4 Hours later, back home and Ta-dah! Manfrotto 222  being Delivered for  £27 Bargain! Lets just hope its as good as it says in the auction! :grin:

Nice catch Charic! I also picked up my 222 on Ebay (for a little more than you paid) and think it's an absolutely cracking little piece of kit. I use it a lot with my 10x50 but have also used it with the 15x70 Helios Apollo. The larger instrument did require the resistance on the ball to be increased slightly but once adjusted was rock solid.

.......cheers Damo636. I know the saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it", yet depending on the state, cleanliness, smell? of the item, it will get a good strip down and clean, to better understand the workings, and to just check that everything is in perfect condition.

I'm sure it will be, but will have to wait until delivery day. Fingers crossed. 

Archived