Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

WaveSoarer

C28 - NGC 752 open cluster

I got my telescope set up as soon as it got dark to do some imaging of the galaxy NGC 925, which was just visible in my 200p as a faint glow with a slight grainyness to it. While my camera was clicking away, I started hunting around with my binoculars. Just above the naked-eye star beta-Tri (or tracing a path in the opposite direction from the line through beta-Tri to the galaxy) there was a very pleasing looking open cluster. It appeared in my 10 x 50s as a two faint glowing patches with a misting of faint point like stars sprinkled over the dim milky light. It was safely within the FoV and it provided a very pleasant and rewarding view. I later checked with Stellarium and found that it was C28 (NGC 752). A wonderful surprise and a very nice object to just stumble upon. I had a quick view of the cluster through my 200p with my 20mm EP. The FOV was just filled with stars and I'll try again with less magnification once I get the chance. I eventually packed in once I got very cold and ice started forming on the tube of the scope.

• Like 2

After checking my notebook, it appears that I've alreadty stumbled across it before. This was just over a year ago. Maybe the cold of last night was getting to me. It didn't help that I was called out to work just before midnight  to sort out a problem. Doh. Still, it was nice to stumble on it - again.

I think conditions were very good last night. As I am recovering from a cold I did not set up the scope but went out with my 10x50s for a quick look around and I was really surprised (and a tad annoyed) that the sky seemed so clear. Just looking in the general area of Cassiopeia reviewed a carpet of stars, then I looked at Orion and was surprised at the detail in only 10x50s. I started with my 10x50s and I continue to use them.

I am glad to read that you had a good 'find' with NGC 752.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lead_weight
      Spent the last three nights imaging these three objects. Managed to get them all in the same frame of my ES 102mm FCD100 scope. Pretty happy with how it turned out. I would have liked to have grabbed a little more SII data. When I originally captured it, I thought I might only have two clear nights, so I imaged it as HA/OIII. Turns out there's almost no OIII. On the third night, clouds were supposed to roll in about 4am, cutting the imaging session short, but it stayed clear the whole night, and I got a full night of data with the exception that I got a late start due to technical issues when I first started imaging.
      The ASI1600's halos are rearing their ugly heads on the two brightest stars. I tried to tone them down some by desaturating the colors around both stars...it worked a bit.
      Another 15 hours and I could probably get rid of any remaining grain, but just don't have the clear nights to get it done. 15.8 hours total imaging time.
      Equipment:
      Celestron CGX Explore Scientific 102mm FCD100 ZWO ASI1600MM-C ZWO Filter Wheel with Astrodon 5nm filters ZWO ASI290MM Mini guide camera  Stellarvue F50G guide scope
    • By Toxophilus
      I finally got round to testing my new configuration using a Pegaus Ultimate Power Box. So now only 2 cables going to the mount for everything instead of a tangled spiders web. I'm pleased with the results so far, just have a few minor things to change but I just randomly picked a target of Messier 39 to test it all with and was not expecting much. But I was delighted with the result for something that was only going to be a basic test.

• By MeyGray3833
      Howdy.
      I got out of my depth on this one, surprisingly hard to process and the colour data was rubbish, not to mention all the other stuff that is wrong with the image! We are our own worst critics!
      Anyway, the image is loosely centered on open cluster Pismis 4 backed by part of the Vela Supernova Remnant.

Telescope: William Optics FLT132
      Guide Scope: QHY OAG
      Camera: QHY9 Mono @ -20c
      Filter Wheel: QHY 7 position Ultra Slim
      Filters: QHY 36mm unmounted L R G B HA OIII SII
      Guide Camera: QHY5L-II
      Mount: AZ-EQ6
      Mount Control: EQASCOM
      Focusing: SharpSky Pro and Sequence Generator Pro 3 (automated)
      Bahtinov Mask: Yes (initial focus)
      Capture Software: Sequence Generator Pro 3
      Guiding Software: PHD2
      Calibration and Stacking Software: PixInsight
      Processing Software: PixInsight
      Number and Type of Data Frames: L= 18X10 min, R= 6x7 min, G= 6x7 min, B= 6x7 min
      Ha= x , SII= x , OIII= x .
      Binning: 1x1
      Total Image Time: 306 minutes
      Light Box by Exfso

Thanks for looking.

• By MeyGray3833
      This is open cluster Pismis 4 in the Vela constellation and backed by part of the Vela supernova remnant. Some information regarding Paris Pismis and her catalogue can be found on this link.
      http://sandandstars.co.za/2018/01/25/paris-pismis-and-her-catalogue-of-open-clusters/

Telescope: William Optics FLT132
      Guide Scope: QHY OAG
      Camera: QHY9 Mono @ -20c
      Filter Wheel: QHY 7 position Ultra Slim
      Filters: QHY 36mm unmounted L R G B
      Guide Camera: QHY5L-II
      Mount: AZ-EQ6
      Mount Control: EQASCOM
      Focusing: SharpSky Pro and Sequence Generator Pro 3 (automated)
      Capture Software: Sequence Generator Pro 3
      Guiding Software: PHD2
      Calibration and Stacking Software: PixInsight
      Processing Software: PixInsight
      Number and Type of Data Frames: L= 18X10 min, R= 6x7 min, G= 6x7 min, B= 6x7 min
      Binning: 1x1
      Total Image Time: 306 minutes
      Light Box by Exfso
    • By Djt
      Hi
      thought you might be interested in this.
      The Jewel box sits in Crux and is pretty spectacular in an eyepiece.
      This was captured using MaximDL and processed in PixInsight. Not much was done in terms of processing but as the stars are fairly young I boosted the blues a little as in its basic processed state they were pretty much white (so shorter subs needed?)
      location  - Sydney
      gear
      GSO RC10a Truss (first light)
      Moravian G2 8300 with astronomiks filters
      AP900 mount
      Image data, RGB 24:24:24 in 3 minute subs
      Cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.