SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Zello app as a possible meteor scatter observation??

TomP

Hi all,

I've stumbled across a popular radio app titled - Zello which I would describe as a CB meets modern social media. It's free to download, I've currently downloaded it on my Kindle Fire tablet and Ipod touch with no problems.

I stumbled across it via looking into CB radios and Scanners which is drawn from my growing interest in radio astronomy, which I plan to create a meteor scatter observation base from my home in the New Year. 

Now, on Zello you can create your own channels, some are just used as plugs for people to hook up channels for people to listen in and not speak. 

It's given me the idea for some who can't set up a meteor scatter base for various reasons, or even just to get more people interested in radio astronomy all together. That using the app Zello, setting up a channel for meteor scatter either permanent or certain times of the day. It would need one laptop/computer then via the sound jack connect it to another with the app/channel running...BINGO!!!!

What are people's thoughts?? 

Tom.

Hi Tom,

I'm not one for using 'Facetalk' and similar social media but to allow listening to someone else's meteor pings you might be better served creating a dedicated web page where meteor information, visuals (both captured and live) and (recorded)sounds could all be used to give a better user experience. Maybe you could use this 'Zello' as part of a special 'live feed' now and again say with a video feed from outside your property but our main periods of meteor activity (very early morning) are when we are usually asleep and least active at more social hours. I would say get your main detection system up and running for a stable period and then see where you want to take things after that.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm using SDR Console in conjunction with my Funcube. One of the claimed features of this software is that it can be operated remotely via the web; indeed there is a demo of the software in Florida being operated from Switzerland (http://v2.sdr-radio.com/). So perhaps some enterprising person could set up a server to allow others to view meteors? Wouldn't have a clue where to start myself, and of course it isn't an app. Just a thought along the lines you're suggesting.

Ian

Archived