Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

last night... wow!

philipw

Home late from a work thing, driving home I could see the sky is clear, I'm wishing out loud it stays clear! Call ahead and ask my partner to put my telescope out to cool. Get home, get out of my suit and into my old jeans, big jumper and parka jacket and point my telescope at Orion.

First of all even through the viewfinder its like I'm looking at a completely different sky! There is so much to see. Its so dark, the couple of street lights in the country lane I live on have gone off. Its just a carpet of stars. Orion is so beautiful.

But then, right above my head an amazing display of shooting stars (asteroids?)!

By this point I'm jumping up and down! There were 2 bursts the first had what seemed like about 5 fast streaks across the sky at once. I couldn't believe it. Then another burst all in the same area in the sky.

By this time I couldn't feel my hands anymore, I go inside look at the clock - I've been outside for 2 hours!

Just sharing in the hope that anyone contemplating getting a telescope reading this.. Just do it. I've got a relatively cheap set up and its worth every penny.

I've got teenage neices and nephews who use the word "awesome" in every sentence... Get a telescope and you get a feeling for what awesome really means.

Hello Phil sounds like you had a great night and I enjoyed the post. If you fancy taking the wow factor up a level and you can manage it I recommend you get a couple of BST starguider eyepieces. They really do make a massive difference to your viewing. I say that because I have the same scope as you and could not believe the difference to my viewing with the BST,s Hope you manage to get many more evenings like you have just had.

Very well reported, sounds like you had a great night!  the shooting stars are not Asteriods, Just tiny particles, some no bigger than a grain of sand.

Orion did look stunning last night, i also saw one Geminid go right through the center of her!

Good point, but Orion is most definitely a HIM!

I too got a couple of bst's from santa,what a good quality,heavy,and beautiful piece of equipment compared to the ep's that came with my scope.Am thinking now would changing the 2x barlow that came with my scope for a more expensive one make my viewing even better,any thoughts?

Archived