Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wobbly mount?

algol

So I was out with my 200 mm dob last night and noticed something that hadn't been there previously, the scope had a wobble no matter what surface it was on.

I've not had a look at the mount yet but I'm thinking it may be the screw underneath the mount, but I am not sure, any advice guys?

I thought it only had three to begin with? :o

Better have a check tomorrow, felt a bit rough today so haven't summoned the energy to do so yet. It's only a slight wobble but noticeable when trying to track objects

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update guys, I've checked the feet and they're all there. There seems to be a wobble between the two base plates as if the centre screw is loose, I've tightened it but no joy the wobble persists.

It is noticeable, each time I attempt to alter the focus or slightly adjust the image the view vibrates violently for several seconds, definitely wasn't like this before and I can't think what the cause may be

You DO know the meaning of upgrade????

Yes I do. It's moving to the next level of an existing product, not changing to a completely different one. like a kenworth truck is NOT an upgrade from a vespa....both modes of transport but completely different animals.

Carina lass,

The only person that has mentioned upgrading is YOU.

Algol wants help in fixing the scope he has, not buying another. If you can help him with that then great if not ....

Ant

Hi

The centre bolt on a Dob base is merely to keep things in the correct location. It has no need to be tight. If there is wobble between the two plates, tightening this bolt will not be the solution. It sounds like either, one of the boards is warped or perhaps one of the Teflon pads has worked its way out.

As mr Thing has suggested, it could be that a teflon pad has come lose. Pull it apart, Dont be scared, there really isn't mucch that can go wrong (famous last words). Thats the beauty of the dob :D

Replace bottom plate with stub axle and front wheel bearing from a truck and place top plate on wheel with tyre removed. A small lever to operate the drum brake (or disc) will allow some amazing cont4rol and it is unlikely to be lumpy wobbly or rough unless truck was a write off before you got the axle.....lol

Best of luck Mr Phelps... this post will self destruct in a millenium or so....

Replace bottom plate with stub axle and front wheel bearing from a truck and place top plate on wheel with tyre removed. A small lever to operate the drum brake (or disc) will allow some amazing cont4rol and it is unlikely to be lumpy wobbly or rough unless truck was a write off before you got the axle.....lol

Best of luck Mr Phelps... this post will self destruct in a millenium or so....

Are you serious? Have you any idea how heavy a truck axle is........... :D :D you'd never even move it let alone lift it up. The steel wheels alone off a big rig weigh over 30Kg's each. 

Archived