SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

14mm ES 100

Daniel-K

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will soon want the 9mm to complete the set :D

The 9mm is my favorite when magnification will allow. The shorter eye relief on the 9mm is not an issue as I tend to fold down the eye cup on all my ES 100° even the 82°. The 14mm tends to get the most use though as it gives the best magnification across most of my scopes.

Dan,

Yes they do, Telescope House has it in stock I think. One site member bought one and had a problem but that has been sorted out now, he said it was good. I keep looking at it but remember the words of Al Nagler, He said larger than 21mm compromises the design, maybe they have done a design themselves for a change, I guess they must have.

Alan.

Be very wary of the 25mm. What you see depends on how short-sigted you are....I was that memnber with the problem! If you're contemplating the 25mm option I seriously recommend you try before you buy. If you're local to Worcerstershire/ Gloustershire you could try mine.

Regards, RL

I'd be confident in all the ES 100's, with the exception of the 25mm in a fastish scope.

I'm not surprised you really like the 20mm Dan - I was very impressed with mine. Don't forget the 9mm 120 degree ES if you are a real wide field junkie and have deep pockets although I believe that has some "quirks" like the 25mm / 100 does.

I think the 20mm is perfect for me I struggle with blackouts with lesser mags.not sure on the 9mm yet I would like a 10-8Ethos but if I get a power mate I can Barlow the 20

Yep, the Powermate works very well with the ES 20 / 100. It gives your focuser a nice bit of excercise too ! :grin:

post-118-0-88320000-1418643198_thumb.jpg

Dan,

I have done this myself with the 8mm and 6mm Ethos in a Powermate  which I have since sold on as it was the only thing I ever did with it. It works fine but just never really felt right. I used it mostly with this combo in the M/N 190 which is a Newtonian type set up, if the eyepiece ended up on top, which it always seemed to, I needed a helicopter to see into the eyepiece. One of the major plus points for Dobs and negative points for Newtonians. I am going to order on after Christmas to put on my AZ EQ 6 so I had better get uses to mountaineering again.

Alan.

had both Ethos and ExSc 100 deg range side by side for a numerous nights and you can beat me,but i saw none difference and if there was any then it was so little that it wasnt worth mentioning.Both equally great Ep`s, for people who enjoy 100 degree views.

As for full set,there is also a 5.5mm out there and as mentioned earlier the 25mm.never tried them,as such,will not comment. however,there is also a mammoth 30mm eye piece in 100 degrees with a whopping 3" barrel .price is also not shy but thats only speaking of full set Dan :D

John I'm sure the feather touch will handle it ;)

Alan it will need its own led light to stop aircrafts hitting it

I'm sure it will Dan. You need a bit of hazard tape around the top end of the scope though and a red flag -  "Warning - Long Load !" :grin:

Dan,

I have done this myself with the 8mm and 6mm Ethos in a Powermate  which I have since sold on as it was the only thing I ever did with it. It works fine but just never really felt right. I used it mostly with this combo in the M/N 190 which is a Newtonian type set up, if the eyepiece ended up on top, which it always seemed to, I needed a helicopter to see into the eyepiece. One of the major plus points for Dobs and negative points for Newtonians. I am going to order on after Christmas to put on my AZ EQ 6 so I had better get uses to mountaineering again.

Alan.

IMO you wont  even use the AZEQ6 when that 18" lands :)

No for planetary I much prefer a driven mount and the chance to use Orthoscopic eyepieces which as you all know have a very small FOV, very difficult to use in a Dobsonian I would have thought. I guess the love affair with the 100 degree eyepieces when working with the Dobs helps the fact that you have to move them by hand. I like lots of strings to my bow.

As much as I have been in envy :Envy: of many of you for a long time I do not believe they tick all boxes. There was a saying I first heard used by the great drummer Buddy Rich, he said " different strokes for different folks" well in my case it is different "scopes for".  

I guess in an attempt to get back on track, it is like Ethos eyepieces are not for everyone :eek:.

Alan 

Archived