SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rusty 16" Dob first light & 20mm ES 100

Daniel-K

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well???.........come on sleepy head let's have the low down. :D

Oh and pics, we want more pics :)

ive been mega busy this morning but i have a spare 10 mins so it will be brief.

while walking home from work last night the sky looked great and i got a little giddy with the thought of getting some time with the new dob while there was no moon.i got in and got changed in record breaking time.

the dob lives in the shed so it only take 5 mins to set up. after the all the normal procedures of collimation and aligning finders and setting up the heaters it was 22:30ish  and i was ready to rock n roll.The sky was look good and just i was choosing what to look at first i bagged the first geminid :)

Target one armed with the new 20mm ES 100 had to be M42 :D  :icon_eek:  my eyeballs where ablaze with photons. smooth soft wisps of nebula  around the trapezium with twisting structure (who said 2" doesnt make a ddifference!) the trapezium stars where razor sharp and i was split the a star with ease. i also saw a tiny star which i have never seen before which i will do a rough sketch of later. 

M35 was next as it was nicely placed and i was shocked at the image scale of this cluster it filled the EP with stars which where bright a booming with contrast. off axis correction is extremely good here and to pick any faults i had to really scan the 1% edge of the FOV.

conditions where good i used x216 on the eskimo nebula and TBH if i had a 5mm it would have took that as well.but sadly i only the 7mm nirvana and what a great EP this. its flawless, showing the faint blue halo with a small glowing core.

i scanned around auriga for a while with the 20mm ES picking up M37 38 & 36 all great targets for this EP which really does give you the spacewalk feel that i got with cals ETHOS

NGC 2266 is a really nice tight cluster small and faint by MEBSUTA in Gemini also while in the area i managed to find NGC 2304 another small faint cluster.

i had a go at M1 and M81 & M82 but the moon was making an appearance by then so they where fairly faint even with the Astronomik UHC.

the double cluster made and a fine target for the 20mm ES just fitting both in the FOV and the star colours where blazing away full of contrast.

TBH and completely honest the highlight of the short few hours was the moon ive never seen it through a scope so sharp as this. the mountain ridges where so crisp i was shocked. i used all 3 of my EP on this 20ES 16mm SW nirvana and 7mm sw nirvana all performed excellent.

im really pleased with this mirror, i took a bit of a risk as it was only £400. This 20MM ES EP really does do a sweet job if your looking for ETHOS views this is very close. 

cant wait to get this scope too DOBFEST !!

How is the   'scope handling Dan? All good?

When I checked the sips set up n the moon during final tweeking, I noticed how damn sharp it looked too. Cracking mirror for the money, and also for a lot more money. Well bagged mate.

its great Alan there is nothing i can fault with it, it holds collimation so well and its so positive to move. it handled the 20mm ES 100 and sips with not even a murmur :)  so happy with it thanks again for putting up with me :)

Wahey! Great stuff mate.

That's really giving me some more options eyepiece wise. Can't wait to see the scope and your good self at the next DF mate. :)

ive got my cake and ive ate it. i was so  blinded by TV's for years i think ES have done a great job with these. at least you can try before you buy now steve

Excellent!! Really glad it has turned out as you hoped. How did you route the heater wire in the end?

not had time to fiddle yet. the crane broke in work so ive had to do a few bad shifts. i was suppose to be in work today but the clear night was too good to miss. back in tomorrow though :( 

i think i will do as you recommended and have it coming out the side 

thanks Alan ive just ordered one. next weekend im going to rig up the dew heater controller so its sits on the UTA.I tired it te other nigh and it holds the weight fine. i think i will just some velcro to attach it on  and ten i can just have one cable running to the tracer battery at the bottom of the scope

Sounds like you're having a great time of it Dan. Just one question though, I thought you visual dudes hated "all those cables" us imagers have.  :p

I best shut my mouth lest I get banned from all the canons at SGLX :D

Sounds like you're having a great time of it Dan. Just one question though, I thought you visual dudes hated "all those cables" us imagers have.  :p

the cables are a must. i like to observe all night with no dew :D nothing better than being dew free while others struggle with hairdryers ;)

For an imager you sure spend a lot of time on these big dob threads Scott. 

I see a load of imaging kit up for sale very soon.  :evil:  :evil:  :grin:

For an imager you sure spend a lot of time on these big dob threads Scott. 

I see a load of imaging kit up for sale very soon.  :evil:  :evil:  :grin:

I drive a ford fiesta Steve, doesn't mean I don't like looking at the odd  Aston Martin though  :grin: .

I've just been looking at Steve Richards'  Dob mount build in S@N. might need to knock one up for my 8" (or as you would call it "finder scope"). Try and get it done in time for SGLX so you can all laugh at me :)

just done a little research on what i was look at on the moon :

montes apenninus

montes caucasus- these ive seen lots of times wen just taking a quick peak but this time they really did stand out i could even see two differnt tones on te ridges on the top.

copernicus

Imbrium

Archimdes

im not turnning to lunar but i may get out in the garden now and again to have a look when i need a fix  :p

http://cseligman.com/text/moons/moonmap.htm

Archived