Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

camera for

Bradersno1

Sorry to ask but which camera would be suitable for a celestron powerseeker 127 eq don't really want it for DSO's and canons sound better by what iv read. it's  a present being brought for me so I don't want to ask for the most expensive lol. ( "ill buy you a camera for xmas". "oh thanks, that'll be £1000 in that case lol" ).

here's the link to my telescope specs if it helps? http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/powerseeker-127eq-telescope

Anymore info I need to provide? Again I feel bad asking but reading other peoples threads has majorly confused me I think it's a case of too much info,

Why are you lot so helpful! :grin:

DSO's need long exposure's and that is why a DSLR is used - they can be made to take an exposure of minutes if not more.

Planets are in general imaged by a webcam - you take a movie of the planet and select and stack the best 20 or 30% of the frames in the video.

If you do not want DSO's then you can simply use a webcam, several inexpensive options.

There is a sort of middle option.

Something like the ZWO ASI 120 will go video and will also do long exposure.

They seem to be around at the £250 mark. Not sure as they have a new USB3 variant out.

They are a cmos not ccd.

Better get an idea of the budget that is likely to be available.

Cameras come in a wide range of costs.

I had a similar dilemma, not wanting to appear greedy when a friend was wanting to return a favour.

Will you also want to shoot some daylight photography?

Pretty much all the Canon DSLRs will work, the models with the 'flip' screen are easier to use and Canon are well supported in the astro-software field.

I gave my friend a list for my prefered cameras in no particular order and left it to them. I would have been happy with any of the models, but of course I am happiest in that they went for my top choice.

Another option would be something like a Gift Voucher then you could always add to it, if your real choice is a little more expensive.

Oops sorry I cant see an edit button? I was meant to type I want it for DSO really but iv never ...... that's way to high budget lol I know but.... Maybe ill go second hand, I was thinking id probly use it a lot for normal daytime and traveling stuff but its easier just carrying my iphone around (going to oz soon).

gift voucher/money - good idea, but ill probly be picking it trying to get an idea.

asked in a shop and said I WANT a cannon and they replied "ok, but these Nikons....must of been better commission, I walked out half way through him speaking. that really gets me when I tell them I am only spending money on a certain brand.

If I was heading out on a trip to OZ I'd be taking the 'proper' camera. :)

I asked about daylight use, because what ronin said is very valid for AP and the mount on the 127EQ is not exactly suitable for long exposure imaging.

Weight and stability are critical in AP + the ability to remain on target. Focusing can also be an issue with a DSLR ie can't get it.

My 700D was initially obtained for AP, but I'm finding that at the moment 99.99% of the time it is with me for daylight use, handy for learning about the camera, but seriously addictive, especially as the weather does not play such an important role.

S/H is good, esp if you are certainly going to want further lenses.

I spent my teenage years working in what could be considered an antique photographic dealers, (think The Old Curiosity Shop from WW11) sometimes the customer's fixed idea could preclude better kit for the same price. No commissions involved just a desire to give the best advice and service.

Good that you will be involved in the choice.

Archived